BizStore » eBooks » Rule Makers, Rule Breakers: How Tight and Loose Cultures Wire Our World
Binding: Kindle Edition
Format: Kindle eBook
Number Of Pages: 385
Publication Date: 2018-09-11
Release Date: 2018-09-11
In Rule Makers, Rule Breakers celebrated cultural psychologist Michele Gelfand takes us on an epic journey through human cultures, offering a startling new view of the world and ourselves. With a mix of brilliantly conceived studies and surprising on-the-ground discoveries, she shows that much of the diversity in the way we think and act derives from a key difference—how tightly or loosely we adhere to social norms.
Why are clocks in Germany so accurate while those in Brazil are frequently wrong? Why do New Zealand’s women have the highest number of sexual partners? Why are “Red” and “Blue” States really so divided? Why was the Daimler-Chrysler merger ill-fated from the start? Why is the driver of a Jaguar more likely to run a red light than the driver of a plumber’s van? Why does one spouse prize running a “tight ship” while the other refuses to “sweat the small stuff?”
In search of a common answer, Gelfand has spent two decades conducting research in more than fifty countries. Across all age groups, family variations, social classes, businesses, states and nationalities, she’s identified a primal pattern that can trigger cooperation or conflict. Her fascinating conclusion: behavior is highly influenced by the perception of threat.
With an approach that is consistently riveting, Rule Makers, Rule Breakers thrusts many of the puzzling attitudes and actions we observe into sudden and surprising clarity.
• The Job: Work and Its Future in a Time of Radical Change
• Stubborn Attachments: A Vision for a Society of Free, Prosperous, and Responsible Individuals
• The Person You Mean to Be: How Good People Fight Bias
• Farsighted: How We Make the Decisions That Matter the Most
• The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth
• The Personality Brokers: The Strange History of Myers-Briggs and the Birth of Personality Testing
• The Formula: The Universal Laws of Success
• Wisdom at Work: The Making of a Modern Elder
• The Cost-Benefit Revolution (The MIT Press)
• Trillion Dollar Coach: The Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley's Bill Campbell