BizStore » eBooks » Teach Like Finland: 33 Simple Strategies for Joyful Classrooms
Binding: Kindle Edition
Format: Kindle eBook
Label: W. W. Norton & Company
Manufacturer: W. W. Norton & Company
Number Of Pages: 240
Publication Date: 2017-04-18
Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Release Date: 2017-04-18
Studio: W. W. Norton & Company
Easy-to-implement classroom lessons from the world’s premier educational system.
Finland shocked the world when its fifteen-year-olds scored highest on the first Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), a set of tests touted for evaluating critical-thinking skills in math, science, and reading. That was in 2001; but even today, this tiny Nordic nation continues to amaze. How does Finnish education—with short school days, light homework loads, and little standardized testing—produce students who match the PISA scores of high-powered, stressed-out kids in Asia?
When Timothy D. Walker started teaching fifth graders at a Helsinki public school, he began a search for the secrets behind the successes of Finland’s schools. Walker wrote about several of those discoveries, and his Atlantic articles on this subject became hot topics of conversation. Here, he gathers all he learned and reveals how any teacher can implement many of Finland's best practices.
Remarkably, Finland is prioritizing the joy of learning in its newest core curricula and Walker carefully highlights specific strategies that support joyful K-12 classrooms and integrate seamlessly with educational standards in the United States.
From incorporating brain breaks to offering a peaceful learning environment, this book pulls back the curtain on the joyful teaching practices of the world's most lauded school system. His message is simple but profound: these Finland-inspired strategies can be used in the U.S. and other countries. No educator—or parent of a school-aged child—will want to miss out on the message of joy and change conveyed in this book.
• The Wild Card: 7 Steps to an Educator's Creative Breakthrough
• Finnish Lessons 2.0: What Can the World Learn from Educational Change in Finland?, Second Edition (Series on School Reform)
• Shift This!: How to Implement Gradual Changes for MASSIVE Impact in Your Classroom
• Empower: What Happens When Student Own Their Learning
• Hacking Project Based Learning: 10 Easy Steps to PBL and Inquiry in the Classroom (Hack Learning Series Book 9)
• Disrupting Thinking: Why How We Read Matters
• Hacking Engagement: 50 Tips & Tools To Engage Teachers and Learners Daily (Hack Learning Series Book 7)
• The New Art and Science of Teaching: more than fifty new instructional strategies for academic success
• Shattering the Perfect Teacher Myth: 6 Truths That Will Help You THRIVE as an Educator
• The Epic Classroom: How to Boost Engagement, Make Learning Memorable, and Transform Lives