BizStore » eBooks » Against Everything: Essays
Binding: Kindle Edition
Format: Kindle eBook
Number Of Pages: 321
Publication Date: 2016-09-06
Release Date: 2016-09-06
A brilliant collection of essays by a young writer who is already a star in the intellectual firmament. As William Deresiewicz has written in Harper’s Magazine, “[Mark Greif ] is an intellectual, full stop . . . There is much of [Lionel] Trilling in Greif . . . Much also of Susan Sontag . . . What he shares with both, and with the line they represent, is precisely a sense of intellect—of thought, of mind—as a conscious actor in the world.”
Over the past eleven years, Greif has been publishing superb, and in some cases already famous, essays in n+1, the high-profile little magazine that he co-founded. These essays address such key topics in the cultural, political, and intellectual life of our time as the tyranny of exercise, the tyranny of nutrition and food snobbery, the sexualization of childhood (and everything else), the philosophical meaning of Radiohead, the rise and fall of the hipster, the impact of the Occupy Wall Street movement, and the crisis of policing. Four of the selections address, directly and unironically, the meaning of life—what might be the right philosophical stance to adopt toward one’s self and the world.
Each essay in Against Everything is learned, original, highly entertaining, and, from start to finish, dead serious. They are the work of a young intellectual who, with his peers, is reinventing and reinvigorating what intellectuals can be and say and do. Mark Greif manages to reincarnate and revivify the thought and spirit of the greatest of American dissenters, Henry David Thoreau, for our time and historical situation.
From the Hardcover edition.
• The Selfishness of Others: An Essay on the Fear of Narcissism
• Known and Strange Things: Essays
• Grand Hotel Abyss: The Lives of the Frankfurt School
• The Shipwrecked Mind: On Political Reaction
• Feel Free: Essays
• The Hatred of Poetry
• American Philosophy: A Love Story
• Modernity and Its Discontents: Making and Unmaking the Bourgeois from Machiavelli to Bellow
• The Dream of Reason: A History of Western Philosophy from the Greeks to the Renaissance (New Edition)
• Against Interpretation: And Other Essays