BizStore » eBooks » Theophilus North: A Novel
Binding: Kindle Edition
Format: Kindle eBook
Label: Harper Perennial
Manufacturer: Harper Perennial
Number Of Pages: 436
Publication Date: 2014-02-25
Publisher: Harper Perennial
Release Date: 2014-02-25
Studio: Harper Perennial
This reissued edition of the classic novel by Pulitzer Prize-winner Thornton Wilder is the last of the author’s works and features an updated Afterword by his nephew, Tappan Wilder, as well as additional material.
The last of Wilder's works published during his lifetime, this novel is part autobiographical and part the imagined adventure of his twin brother who died at birth. Setting out to see the world in the summer of 1926, Theophilus North gets as far as Newport, Rhode Island, before his car breaks down. To support himself, Theophilus takes jobs in the elegant mansions along Ocean Drive, just as Wilder himself did in the same decade. Soon the young man finds himself playing the roles of tutor, spy, confidant, lover, friend, and enemy as he becomes entangled in the intrigues of both upstairs and downstairs in a glittering society dominated by leisure.
Narrated by the elderly North from a distance of fifty years, Theophilus North is a fascinating commentary on youth and education from the vantage point of age, and deftly displays Wilder's trademark wit juxtaposed with his lively and timeless ruminations on what really matters about life, love, and work at the end of the day—even after a visit to Newport.
• The Eighth Day: A Novel
• The Bridge of San Luis Rey: A Novel (Perennial Classics)
• The Ides of March: A Novel
• The Cabala and The Woman of Andros: Two Novels (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)
• Gilded: How Newport Became America's Richest Resort
• Top Drawer: American High Society from the Gilded Age to the Roaring Twenties
• The Gilded Age
• Heaven's My Destination: A Novel
• The Secret Token: Myth, Obsession, and the Search for the Lost Colony of Roanoke
• The Chocolate War (Kindle Single) (A Vintage Short)