BizStore » eBooks » The Thing with Feathers: The Surprising Lives of Birds and What They Reveal About Being Human
BizStore » eBooks
The Thing with Feathers: The Surprising Lives of Birds and What They Reveal About Being Human
Binding: Kindle Edition
Format: Kindle eBook
Label: Riverhead Books
Manufacturer: Riverhead Books
Number Of Pages: 269
Publication Date: 2014-03-20
Publisher: Riverhead Books
Release Date: 2014-03-20
Studio: Riverhead Books
An entertaining and profound look at the lives of birds, illuminating their surprising world—and deep connection with humanity.
Birds are highly intelligent animals, yet their intelligence is dramatically different from our own and has been little understood. As we learn more about the secrets of bird life, we are unlocking fascinating insights into memory, relationships, game theory, and the nature of intelligence itself.
The Thing with Feathers explores the astonishing homing abilities of pigeons, the good deeds of fairy-wrens, the influential flocking abilities of starlings, the deft artistry of bowerbirds, the extraordinary memories of nutcrackers, the lifelong loves of albatrosses, and other mysteries—revealing why birds do what they do, and offering a glimpse into our own nature.
Drawing deep from personal experience, cutting-edge science, and colorful history, Noah Strycker spins captivating stories about the birds in our midst and shares the startlingly intimate coexistence of birds and humans. With humor, style, and grace, he shows how our view of the world is often, and remarkably, through the experience of birds. You’ve never read a book about birds like this one.
• The Homing Instinct: Meaning and Mystery in Animal Migration
• The Genius of Birds
• One Wild Bird at a Time: Portraits of Individual Lives
• What the Robin Knows: How Birds Reveal the Secrets of the Natural World
• Lost Among the Birds: Accidentally Finding Myself in One Very Big Year
• Beaks, Bones and Bird Songs: How the Struggle for Survival Has Shaped Birds and Their Behavior
• Gifts of the Crow: How Perception, Emotion, and Thought Allow Smart Birds to Behave Like Humans
• Kingbird Highway: The Biggest Year in the Life of an Extreme Birder
• The Bird Watching Answer Book: Everything You Need to Know to Enjoy Birds in Your Backyard and Beyond (Cornell Lab of Ornithology)
• Better Birding: Tips, Tools, and Concepts for the Field