BizStore » DVD » Forgotten Funnymen - Snub Pollard and Bobby Vernon
Audience Rating: NR (Not Rated)
Brand: Alpha Video
Format: Black & White
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Alpha Video
Manufacturer: Alpha Video
Number Of Discs: 1
Number Of Items: 1
Publication Date: 2012-09-10
Publisher: Alpha Video
Region Code: 0
Release Date: 2012-09-25
Running Time: 71
Studio: Alpha Video
Silent star Snub Pollard took his surname from "Pollard's Lilliputian Opera Company," the famous Australian vaudeville act he toured with, which featured children and actors of diminutive stature. With his bizarre trademark mustache, he rose to fame in the silent era, co-starring with Harold Lloyd in Hal Roach's Lonesome Luke comedies, a series which ran for a total of 86 films. He briefly re-emerged in the sound era, appearing as Tex Ritter's sidekick Pee-Wee and in supporting roles in Laurel and Hardy films. Snub continued to work steadily, usually unbilled as a bit player, for the rest of his life, appearing in Miracle On 34th Street (1947), Singin' In The Rain (1952) and Inherit The Wind (1960). Bobby Vernon was a popular leading man and comedian of the silents, who rose to fame starring opposite Gloria Swanson in a series of comic shorts. With the advent of sound he became a writer and supervisor at Paramount where he worked with W.C. Fields and Bing Crosby.
NO KIDDING (1928): Snub and his pal plan to win $1,000 in a baby contest. Starring Snub Pollard, Marvin Loback, Billy Barty.
BEFORE THE PUBLIC (1923): Snub triumphantly returns to his hometown as a western movie star. Impressed with his screen heroics, the town elects Snub to ride Nitro in the horse show. Starring Snub Pollard, Noah Young, James Finlayson; Directed by Charley Chase (as Charles Parrott).
TURN HIM LOOSE (1929): Bobby find himself on the wrong side of prison bars while tracking a beautiful underworld gun-moll. Starring Bobby Vernon, Margaret Lee, Tom Dempsey; Directed by Eddie Baker.
HOLD'ER COWBOY (1928): Fresh off the ranch, young cowpoke Bobby is sent to stay with wealthy family friends. Starring Bobby Vernon, Andy Clyde, Frances Lee; Directed by William Watson.
• Silent Comedy Marathon, Volume 2: Mitt the Prince (1927) / Beauty Ã la Mud (1926) / Ben in Society (1908) / Those Awful Hats (1909) / Snooky's Fresh Heir (1921) / At the Ringside (1917) / Breezing Along (1927)
• Slapstick Marathon (Silent)
• Silent Comedy Marathon, Volume 1: In The Grease (1925) / Stick Around (1925) / Alkali Ike's Auto (1911) / Bangville Police (1913) / Crazy Doings (1929) / Dollars And Sense (1917) / Ambition (1917) / Fast Mall Man (1922)
• Silent Comedy Marathon, Volume 5 (Silent)
• Accidentally Preserved: volume 4
• Harold Lloyd - Lost Comedy Classics: All Aboard (1917) / Ask Father (1919) / Bumping Into Broadway (1919) / Chop Suey & Co. (1919) / Don't Shove (1919) (Silent)
• Three Fatties: Heavy Love (1926) / Back Fire (1926) / Three Missing Links (1927) / Three Wise Goofs (1925) / The Heavy Parade (1926) / Tailoring (1925) / Standing Pat (1928) / Old Tin Sides (1927) / Three Missing Links (1927) (Silent)
• Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6
• Hal Roach Rarities (Silent)
• Mack Sennett Sensations: The Rivals (1913) / Dizzy Heights and Daring Hearts (1915) / Hollywood Kid (1924) / Lizzies of the Field (1924) (Silent)