BizStore » Books » Automobile Design Graphics
Brand: Heimann Jim
Feature: Automobile Design Graphics
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 368
Publication Date: 2016-09-01
• Automobile Design Graphics
Dream a little dream
The art of selling more than just a car
In the heyday of the automobile, marketing cars was an exacting process. Selling the public one of their major life purchases involved not only traditional advertising but also a crucial item that extolled the virtue of the cars: the brochure. Often oversize and sumptuously produced, including acetate overlays with fabric and paint swatches, brochures were only available at dealer showrooms or auto fairs–hence specimens of antique and vintage car brochures are rare collector’s items today.
Frequently overlooked in design and automotive histories, this ephemera offers lucid mirror image of American tastes, consumerism, and buying habits since the dawn of the automobile. Automobile Design Graphics presents for the first time a comprehensive overview of this mostly forgotten breed of collateral advertising. From the most obscure (Tucker, Ajax, Columbia) to the most iconic (General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler), this visual history brings together over 500 reproductions from these rare and collectible customer brochures. Across eight decades, they present not only some of the finest cars, but also some of the best illustration and graphic design of the 20th century.
Ancillary examples of automotive literature, including the elaborate dealer manuals are also featured, alongside essays by automobile and cultural historian Jim Donnelly and preeminent design historian Steven Heller. Testament to a bygone era when cars were, quite simply, the stuff dreams were made of, this book is a visual and informative pleasure for car enthusiasts, designers, and pop culture aficionados alike.
Text in English, French, and German
• 20th Century Travel (Multilingual Edition)
• My Dad Had That Car: A Nostalgic Look at the American Automobile, 1920-1990
• Creative Industries of Detroit: The Untold Story of Detroit's Secret Concept Car Builder
• Retro Ride: Advertising Art of the American Automobile
• Mid-Century Ads
• 20th Century Classic Cars: 100 Years of Automotive Ads
• 50s Cars: Vintage Auto Ads (Icons)
• The Walt Disney Film Archives XXL: The Animated Movies 1921-1968
• Motorama: GM's Legendary Show & Concept Cars (Cartech)
• Damsels in Design: Women Pioneers in the Automotive Industry, 1939–1959