BizStore » Books » Down & Out: The Magazine Vol 1, Issue 1 (Volume 1)
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Down & Out Books
Manufacturer: Down & Out Books
Number Of Pages: 166
Publication Date: 2017-08-03
Publisher: Down & Out Books
Studio: Down & Out Books
We know a healthy appetite for well-written short stories exists and we want to help make things better. Our goal with Down & Out: The Magazine is to be a little different than other magazines by standing on the shoulders of the giants that have come before us, or at least tiptoe along the arrows in the backs of the pioneers of modern magazine publishing.
Each issue will feature a story based on a series character like this issue’s brand-new Moe Prager story by Reed Farrel Coleman. If you’re a fan of Moe, who is now retired, you’ll want to read this fantastic story.
We also have new tales by established and well-known writers. This debut issue includes series stories by Eric Beetner, Michael A. Black, Jen Conley, Terrence McCauley, Rick Ollerman, and Thomas Pluck. J. Kingston Pierce, fresh off his former beat from Kirkus Reviews, introduces “Placed in Evidence,” his non-fiction column only to be found here.
Finally, we’ll take a bit of the long road as we answer the question of what happened to crime fiction after Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler moved on from the pulps in “A Few Cents a Word.” This issue we re-introduce Frederick Nebel with the first of his Donahue series, “Rough Justice.” This is a fun one.
For fans of good writing, good literature, and good crime...welcome.
• Down & Out: The Magazine Volume 1 Issue 2 (Volume 2)
• The Digest Enthusiast #7: Explore the world of digest magazines. (Volume 7)
• Mystery Weekly Magazine: October 2017 (Mystery Weekly Magazine Issues)
• Mystery Weekly Magazine: January 2018 (Mystery Weekly Magazine Issues)
• Crime Syndicate Magazine Issue Three
• Crime Syndicate Magazine: Issue Two
• Black Cat Mystery Magazine #1
• American Noir: The Pocket Essential Guide to US Crime Fiction, Film & TV (Pocket Essential series)
• Hardboiled, Noir and Gold Medals: Essays on Crime Fiction Writers from the 50s through the 90s
• Mystery Weekly Magazine: September 2017 (Mystery Weekly Magazine Issues)