BizStore » Books » The Plains Warbonnet
Edition: 2nd ed.
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Crazy Crow Trading Post
Manufacturer: Crazy Crow Trading Post
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 128
Publication Date: 2013-04-05
Publisher: Crazy Crow Trading Post
Studio: Crazy Crow Trading Post
The Plains Indian Warbonnet has become the symbol most identified by the public with All Native Americans, regardless of their particular tribe or culture.
This book addresses this misconception and other fascinating myths and realities pertaining to the warbonnet, such as its evolution, the meanings of the feathers and how they were acquired, materials and decorations, who had the right to make and wear bonnets, and the several significant stylistic variations of the "typical Plains warbonnet.
The historic Plains bonnet was associated with bravery, power and Indian traditions, and much more than a colorful head decoration.
The book is filled with color images and descriptions of museum examples from several tribes, as well as historic photos of Plains Indians wearing warbonnets with their ceremonial attire. And the Photo Gallery presents some of today's best craftsmen with examples of their artistry.
In addition, large photos and color illustrations take the reader step by step through making a regular bonnet, single and double trailer variations, and the remarkable Straight Up bonnet of the Northern Plains and plateau regions. Through the historical discussion and images of actual bonnets, a craftsman learns of many authentic, documented materials and adornments which he can apply during his bonnet-making to create a unique headdress.
By combining historical background with construction information, the book is now the most comprehensive work available about this important symbol of the Native American.
• Focus on Feathers
• Beadwork Techniques of the Native Americans
• Encyclopedia of American Indian Costume
• Native American Moccasins: A Craft Manual
• Ritual and Honour: Warriors of the North American Plains
• Plains Indians Regalia & Customs
• The Complete How-To Book of Indiancraft: 68 Projects for Authentic Indian Articles from Tepee to Tom-tom
• The Plains Indians: Artists of Earth and Sky
• Traditional Clothing of the Native Americans: With Patterns and Ideas for Making Authentic Traditional Clothing, Making Modern Buckskin Clothing and a Section on Tanning Buckskins and Furs
• Craftwork Techniques of the Native Americans