BizStore » Books » Religion Vs. Religion
Edition: First Edition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Kazi Publications, Inc.
Manufacturer: Kazi Publications, Inc.
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 76
Publication Date: 1993-01-01
Publisher: Kazi Publications, Inc.
Studio: Kazi Publications, Inc.
Religion vs Religion consists of two lectures Ali Shariati gave at the Husayniyah Center in Tehran on August 12 and 13, 1970. In them he puts forth a most remarkable thesis, that throughout history, religion has fought against religion and not a non-religion as we have come to believe. That is, monotheism, the religion of the belief that God is One, that religion brought by Prophet Abraham which is called din al-hanif, 'the rightful religion,' has continuously, throughout history, had to struggle against the religion of denying that there is One God or believing that there is no God (kufr, disbelief, infidelity, atheism) or against the religion of believing that there are multiple gods (shirk, polytheism, multitheism), the latter of which has branched into idolatry.
Religion vs Religion, translated here for the first time in English, awakened religious and prophetic-like consciousness, bringing literally thousands of young people back to faith and belief in God. Shariati, in his inimitable way, clearly marks the lines and points out the signs that distinguish a divinely-imitative religion manifested throughout history in a 'priestly-function' of, right or wrong, celebrating a nation and a divinely-originated religion and its 'prophetic-function' of distinguishing between right and wrong and then calling a nation into action.
• Fatima is Fatima
• School of thought and Action
• On the Sociology of Islam: Lectures
• Islam and Modernity: Transformation of an Intellectual Tradition (Publications of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies)
• Hajj Reflection on Its Rituals
• IQBAL: Manifestation of the Islamic Spirit
• Structure and Qur'anic Interpretation: A Study of Symmetry and Coherence in Islam's Holy Text (Islamic Encounter Series)
• After the Prophet: The Epic Story of the Shia-Sunni Split in Islam
• Islam and Modernity: Key Issues and Debates