BizStore » Books » A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice (Brief Histories)
Item Dimensions: Array
MPN: black & white illustrations
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 336
Publication Date: 2019-03-05
Release Date: 2019-03-05
In this compelling, powerful book, highly respected writer and commentator Jack Holland sets out to answer a daunting question: how do you explain the oppression and brutalization of half the world's population by the other half, throughout history?
The result takes the reader on an eye-opening journey through centuries, continents and civilizations as it looks at both historical and contemporary attitudes to women. Encompassing the Church, witch hunts, sexual theory, Nazism and pro-life campaigners, we arrive at today's developing world, where women are increasingly and disproportionately at risk because of radicalized religious belief, famine, war and disease. Well-informed and researched, highly readable and thought-provoking, this is no outmoded feminist polemic: it's a refreshingly straightforward investigation into an ancient, pervasive and enduring injustice. It deals with the fundamentals of human existence -- sex, love, violence -- that have shaped the lives of humans throughout history.
The answer? It's time to recognize that the treatment of women amounts to nothing less than an abuse of human rights on an unthinkable scale. A Brief History of Misogyny is an important and timely book that will make a long-lasting contribution to the efforts to improve those rights throughout the world.
• Misogyny: The Male Malady
• International Women's Rights, Equality and Justice: A Context and Practice Casebook (Context and Practice Series)
• Borderlands / La Frontera: The New Mestiza
• Are Women Human?: And Other International Dialogues
• Ordinary Affects
• Cruel Optimism
• Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches (Crossing Press Feminist Series)
• Wolf Whistle Politics: The New Misogyny in America Today
• The Second Sex
• The Elements of Style, Fourth Edition