BizStore » Books » Encyclopedia of Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Firefly Books
Manufacturer: Firefly Books
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 300
Publication Date: 2017-09-01
Publisher: Firefly Books
Studio: Firefly Books
ASJA Writing Awards Recipient
In the Encyclopedia of Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises, award-winning author and whale researcher Erich Hoyt takes readers into the field for an intimate encounter with some 90 species of cetaceans that make their homes in the world's oceans. Drawing on decades of firsthand experience and a comprehensive familiarity with the current revolution in cetacean studies, Hoyt provides unique insights into the life histories of these compelling marine mammals.
Here are discoveries about cetacean biology and behavior, from the physical differences and adaptations among the baleen and toothed whales to their highly intelligent hunting and feeding methods. The courtship and mating practices, family relationships and the lifelong bonds among some family members are fascinating. The symphonic composer of the whale world is the humpback whale, whose complex 30-minute songs reverberate across the liquid universe of the ocean. Some cetaceans survive deep diving and negotiate lengthy migrations across oceans.
This book is a fascinating compilation of the latest data on cetaceans and an impassioned argument for the ongoing need for international protection of at-risk populations and their increasingly damaged habitat.
Encyclopedia of Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises includes:
• Deep Thinkers: Inside the Minds of Whales, Dolphins, and Porpoises
• Whales: Their Biology and Behavior
• Whales: An Illustrated Celebration
• Whales, Dolphins, and Porpoises: A Natural History and Species Guide
• Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises
• Spying on Whales: The Past, Present, and Future of Earth's Most Awesome Creatures
• Super Shark Encyclopedia: And Other Creatures of the Deep (Super Encyclopedias)
• DK Eyewitness Books: Whale: Discover the Amazing World of Marine Mammals their Lives, Behaviour, and Surroun
• Citizens of the Sea: Wondrous Creatures From the Census of Marine Life
• The Cultural Lives of Whales and Dolphins