BizStore » Books » Stubborn Attachments: A Vision for a Society of Free, Prosperous, and Responsible Individuals
BizStore » Book
Stubborn Attachments: A Vision for a Society of Free, Prosperous, and Responsible Individuals
Label: Stripe Press
Manufacturer: Stripe Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 160
Publication Date: 2018-10-16
Publisher: Stripe Press
Release Date: 2018-10-16
Studio: Stripe Press
Growth is good. Through history, economic growth, in particular, has alleviated human misery, improved human happiness and opportunity, and lengthened human lives. Wealthier societies are more stable, offer better living standards, produce better medicines, and ensure greater autonomy, greater fulfillment, and more sources of fun. If we want to continue on our trends of growth, and the overwhelmingly positive outcomes for societies that come with it, every individual must become more concerned with the welfare of those around us. So, how do we proceed?
Tyler Cowen, in a culmination of 20 years of thinking and research, provides a roadmap for moving forward. In this new book, Stubborn Attachments: A Vision for a Society of Free, Prosperous, and Responsible Individuals, Cowen argues that our reason and common sense can help free us of the faulty ideas that hold us back as people and as a society. Stubborn Attachments, at its heart, makes the contemporary moral case for economic growth and delivers a great dose of inspiration and optimism about our future possibilities.
"Tyler Cowen is one of the most intriguing and eclectic thinkers on the planet like many people, I read something by him every day. In Stubborn Attachments he combines economics and philosophy in a truly important achievement. His best, most ambitious and most personal work. -Tim Harford, author of The Undercover Economist
As a means of practicing the altruism that Stubborn Attachments argues for, Tyler Cowen is donating all earnings from this book to a man he met in Ethiopia earlier this year with aspirations to open his own travel business.
• The Revolt of The Public and the Crisis of Authority in the New Millennium
• The Dream Machine
• High Growth Handbook
• The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life
• Order without Design: How Markets Shape Cities (The MIT Press)
• The Case against Education: Why the Education System Is a Waste of Time and Money
• Can You Outsmart an Economist?
• Legal Systems Very Different from Ours
• The Dawn of Eurasia: On the Trail of the New World Order
• The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure