BizStore » Books » Built: The Hidden Stories Behind our Structures
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Bloomsbury USA
Manufacturer: Bloomsbury USA
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 320
Publication Date: 2018-02-13
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Release Date: 2018-02-13
Studio: Bloomsbury USA
The wonders of engineering revealed--by the inspirational female engineer behind The Shard, Western Europe's tallest building.
While our cities are full of incredible engineering feats, most of us live with little idea of what goes into creating the built environment, let alone how a new building goes up, what it is constructed upon, or how it remains standing.
In Built, star structural engineer Roma Agrawal explains how construction has evolved from the mud huts of our ancestors to skyscrapers of steel that reach into the sky. She unearths how humans have tunneled through solid mountains; how we've walked across the widest of rivers, and tamed nature's precious water resources. She tells vivid tales of the visionaries who created the groundbreaking materials used to build the Pantheon and the Eiffel Tower; and explains how careful engineering can minimize tragedies like the collapse of the Quebec Bridge. Interweaving science, history, illustrations, and personal stories, Built offers a fascinating window into a subject that makes up the foundation of our everyday lives.
• Behemoth: A History of the Factory and the Making of the Modern World
• The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World
• Energy: A Human History
• The Source: How Rivers Made America and America Remade Its Rivers
• Building Construction Illustrated, 5th Edition
• The Way Things Work Now
• The Spinning Magnet: The Electromagnetic Force That Created the Modern World--and Could Destroy It
• Bridges: A History of the World's Most Spectacular Spans
• Barons of the Sea: And their Race to Build the World's Fastest Clipper Ship
• World War II at Sea: A Global History