BizStore » Books » Agony and Eloquence: John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and a World of Revolution
Brand: Skyhorse Pub Co Inc
Feature: Skyhorse Pub Co Inc
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Skyhorse Publishing
Manufacturer: Skyhorse Publishing
MPN: 38 color photos
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 472
Publication Date: 2016-02-02
Publisher: Skyhorse Publishing
Studio: Skyhorse Publishing
• Skyhorse Pub Co Inc
The drama of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson is the foundational story of Americacourage, loyalty, hope, fanaticism, greatness, failure, forgiveness, love.
Agony and Eloquence is the story of the greatest friendship in American history and the revolutionary times in which it was made, ruined, and finally renewed.
In the wake of Washington’s retirement, longtime friends Thomas Jefferson and John Adams came to represent the opposing political forces struggling to shape America’s future. Adams’s victory in the presidential election of 1796 brought Jefferson into his administrationbut as an unlikely and deeply conflicted vice president. The bloody Republican revolution in France finally brought their political differences to a bitter pitch. In Mallock’s take on this fascinating period, French foreign policy and revolutionary developmentsfrom the fall of the Bastille to the fall of the Jacobins and the rise of Napoleonform a disturbing and illuminating counterpoint to events, controversies, individuals, and relationships in Philadelphia and Washington.
Many important and fascinating people appear in the book, including Thomas Paine, Camille Desmoulins, Dr. Benjamin Rush, Tobias Lear, Talleyrand, Robespierre, Danton, Saint-Just, Abigail Adams, Lafayette, James Madison, John Quincy Adams, Dr. Joseph Priestley, Samuel Adams, Philip Mazzei, John Marshall, Alexander Hamilton, and Edward Coles. They are brought to life by Mallock’s insightful analysis and clear and lively writing.
Agony and Eloquence is a thoroughly researched and tautly written modern history. When the most important thing is at stake, almost anything can be justified.
Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Arcade imprint, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in history--books about World War II, the Third Reich, Hitler and his henchmen, the JFK assassination, conspiracies, the American Civil War, the American Revolution, gladiators, Vikings, ancient Rome, medieval times, the old West, and much more. While not every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked and to authors whose work might not otherwise find a home.
• The First Congress: How James Madison, George Washington, and a Group of Extraordinary Men Invented the Government
• Friends Divided: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson
• Jefferson and Hamilton: The Rivalry That Forged a Nation
• John Quincy Adams: Militant Spirit
• Washington and Hamilton: The Alliance That Forged America
• Most Blessed of the Patriarchs: Thomas Jefferson and the Empire of the Imagination
• The Great Divide: The Conflict between Washington and Jefferson that Defined a Nation
• The Adams-Jefferson Letters: The Complete Correspondence Between Thomas Jefferson and Abigail and John Adams
• Washington's Farewell: The Founding Father's Warning to Future Generations
• The Three Lives of James Madison: Genius, Partisan, President