BizStore » Books » Good Charts: The HBR Guide to Making Smarter, More Persuasive Data Visualizations
Brand: Harvard Business School Press
Feature: Harvard Business School Press
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Harvard Business Review Press
Manufacturer: Harvard Business Review Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 264
Publication Date: 2016-05-17
Publisher: Harvard Business Review Press
Studio: Harvard Business Review Press
• Harvard Business School Press
Datavizthe new language of business
A good visualization can communicate the nature and potential impact of information and ideas more powerfully than any other form of communication.
For a long time dataviz” was left to specialistsdata scientists and professional designers. No longer. A new generation of tools and massive amounts of available data make it easy for anyone to create visualizations that communicate ideas far more effectively than generic spreadsheet charts ever could.
What’s more, building good charts is quickly becoming a need-to-have skill for managers. If you’re not doing it, other managers are, and they’re getting noticed for it and getting credit for contributing to your company’s success.
In Good Charts, dataviz maven Scott Berinato provides an essential guide to how visualization works and how to use this new language to impress and persuade. Dataviz today is where spreadsheets and word processors were in the early 1980son the cusp of changing how we work. Berinato lays out a system for thinking visually and building better charts through a process of talking, sketching, and prototyping.
This book is much more than a set of static rules for making visualizations. It taps into both well-established and cutting-edge research in visual perception and neuroscience, as well as the emerging field of visualization science, to explore why good charts (and bad ones) create feelings behind our eyes.” Along the way, Berinato also includes many engaging vignettes of dataviz pros, illustrating the ideas in practice.
Good Charts will help you turn plain, uninspiring charts that merely present information into smart, effective visualizations that powerfully convey ideas.
• The Wall Street Journal Guide to Information Graphics: The Dos and Don'ts of Presenting Data, Facts, and Figures
• The Big Book of Dashboards: Visualizing Your Data Using Real-World Business Scenarios
• Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
• Good Charts Workbook: Tips, Tools, and Exercises for Making Better Data Visualizations
• The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication
• Effective Data Visualization: The Right Chart for the Right Data
• Visualize This: The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
• Show Me the Numbers: Designing Tables and Graphs to Enlighten
• Knowledge Is Beautiful: Impossible Ideas, Invisible Patterns, Hidden Connections--Visualized
• The Visual Display of Quantitative Information