BizStore » Books » Strangers in a Strange Land: Living the Catholic Faith in a Post-Christian World
Brand: HENRY HOLT
Feature: HENRY HOLT
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Henry Holt and Co.
Manufacturer: Henry Holt and Co.
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 288
Publication Date: 2017-02-21
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Release Date: 2017-02-21
Studio: Henry Holt and Co.
• HENRY HOLT
A vivid critique of American life today and a guide to how Christians―and particularly Catholics--can live their faith vigorously, and even with hope, in a post-Christian public square.
From Charles J. Chaput, author of Living the Catholic Faith and Render unto Caesar comes Strangers in a Strange Land, a fresh, urgent, and ultimately hopeful treatise on the state of Catholicism and Christianity in the United States. America today is different in kind, not just in degree, from the past. And this new reality is unlikely to be reversed. The reasons include, but aren't limited to, economic changes that widen the gulf between rich and poor; problems in the content and execution of the education system; the decline of traditional religious belief among young people; the shift from organized religion among adults to unbelief or individualized spiritualities; changes in legal theory and erosion in respect for civil and natural law; significant demographic shifts; profound new patterns in sexual behavior and identity; the growth of federal power and its disregard for religious rights; the growing isolation and elitism of the leadership classes; and the decline of a sustaining sense of family and community.
• The Power of Silence: Against the Dictatorship of Noise
• God or Nothing: A Conversation on Faith
• The Benedict Option: A Strategy for Christians in a Post-Christian Nation
• Out of the Ashes: Rebuilding American Culture
• Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living Our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
• That Nothing May Be Lost: Reflections on Catholic Doctrine and Devotion
• To Light a Fire on the Earth: Proclaiming the Gospel in a Secular Age
• Who Am I To Judge?: Responding to Relativism with Logic and Love
• Living the Catholic Faith: Rediscovering the Basics
• Marian Consecration for Children