BizStore » Books » Seneca: Selected Dialogues and Consolations (Hackett Classics)
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.
Manufacturer: Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.
MPN: black & white illustrations, colour illu
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 256
Publication Date: 2015-03-05
Publisher: Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.
Studio: Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.
Seneca's dialogues--as his epistolary essays have traditionally been known--offer an ideal path into the philosophical thought of first-century Rome's most famous Stoic, whose compelled suicide in 65 CE (by order of his former pupil Emperor Nero) drew comparisons to the death of Socrates.
Notable for, among other things, their portrait of a providential universe and defense of the life of virtue, the nine dialogues included in this volume illustrate the deeply intertwined cosmological and moral arguments of ancient Rome’s chief philosophical alternative to Epicureanism and Academic Skepticism.
Peter J. Anderson's new translation conveys the distinctive character of Seneca's style, while striving for accuracy and consistency in its renderings of key terms. His Introduction discusses the dialogues as works of art and situates them in the context of ancient Stoic philosophy as well as the wider philosophical scene. Notes and a glossary are also included.
• The Nicomachean Ethics (Penguin Classics)
• Lucretius: The Way Things Are: The Way Things Are: The De Rerum Natura of Titus Lucretius Carus
• Philosophy Before Socrates: An Introduction with Texts and Commentary
• Plato: Complete Works
• Proslogion, with the Replies of Gaunilo and Anselm
• The Stoics Reader: Selected Writings and Testimonia (Hackett Classics)
• The Confessions of Saint Augustine (Image Classics)
• Nicomachean Ethics
• Meditations (Dover Thrift Editions)
• Sextus Empiricus: Selections from the Major Writings on Scepticism, Man, and God (Hackett Classics)