BizStore » Books » Six Years in the Hanoi Hilton: An Extraordinary Story of Courage and Survival in Vietnam
BizStore » Book
Six Years in the Hanoi Hilton: An Extraordinary Story of Courage and Survival in Vietnam
Brand: REGNERY HISTORY
Edition: 1st Edition
Feature: REGNERY HISTORY
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Regnery History
Manufacturer: Regnery History
Number Of Pages: 256
Publication Date: 2017-03-13
Publisher: Regnery History
Release Date: 2017-03-13
Studio: Regnery History
• REGNERY HISTORY
With a foreword by Senator John McCain.
In 1967, U.S. Air Force fighter pilot James Shively was shot down over North Vietnam. After ejecting from his F-105 Thunderchief aircraft, he landed in a rice paddy and was captured by the North Vietnamese Army. For the next six years, Shively endured brutal treatment at the hands of the enemy in Hanoi prison camps. Back home his girlfriend moved on and married another man. Bound in iron stocks at the Hanoi Hilton, unable to get home to his loved ones, Shively contemplated suicide. Yet somehow he found hope and the will to survive--and he became determined to help his fellow POWs.
In a newspaper interview several years after his release, Shively said, "I had the opportunity to be captured, the opportunity to be interrogated, the opportunity to be tortured and the experience of answering questions under torture. It was an extremely humiliating experience. I felt sorry for myself. But I learned the hard way life isn't fair. Life is only what you make of it."
Written by Shively's stepdaughter Amy Hawk--whose mother Nancy ultimately reunited with and married Shively in a triumphant love story--and based on extensive audio recordings and Shively's own journals, Six Years in the Hanoi Hilton is a haunting, riveting portrayal of life as an American prisoner of war trapped on the other side of the world.
• John McCain: An American Hero
• Faith of My Fathers: A Family Memoir
• Why Courage Matters: The Way to a Braver Life
• The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights, and Other Appreciations
• John McCain: American Maverick
• Faith of My Fathers
• Faith of My Fathers Faith of My Fathers
• Character Is Destiny: Inspiring Stories Every Young Person Should Know and Every Adult Should Remember by John McCain (2005-10-25)
• Character Is Destiny: Inspiring Stories We Should All Remember (Modern Library Classics)
• Five Years to Freedom: The True Story of a Vietnam POW