BizStore » Books » U.S. Navy Fundamentals of War Gaming (US Army Survival)
Brand: Brand: Skyhorse Publishing
Feature: Used Book in Good Condition
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 256
Publication Date: 2013-07-01
Release Date: 2013-07-01
• Used Book in Good Condition
The classic text, U.S. Navy Fundamentals of War Gaming, provides an in-depth introduction to the basics of military gaming and offers historical insights into the development of war gaming methodologies. It covers the evolution of gaming tools such as ancient adaptations of chess and the development of Kriegspiel to teach military tactics to Prussian officers. The employment of gaming by various military powers, before and during the World Wars, is explored and culminates with the introduction of computer support and simulations in the U.S. Navy.
Also presented is a comprehensive treatment of the various forms of war gaming, from manual games to computer-assisted games; from one-sided to multi-sided games; and from free-play games to rigid-style games. McHugh addresses every aspect of gaming imaginable, including data requirements, design, execution, and analysis. Even the use of probabilistic tables to emulate stochastic processing and the use of flow diagrams for decisions are included.
McHugh was a member of the Naval War College staff when that institution became the forerunner of all U.S. military services for applying gaming technology to educate officers and to evaluate tactical situations, operations, and strategy. He traces the history of gaming at the College from Lt.William McCarty Little in the late 1800s to the employment of the NEWS (Naval Electronic Warfare Simulator) in the twentieth century.
• Simulating War: Studying Conflict through Simulation Games
• Wargaming for Leaders: Strategic Decision Making from the Battlefield to the Boardroom
• Peter Perla's The Art of Wargaming A Guide for Professionals and Hobbyists
• The Art of Wargaming: A Guide for Professionals and Hobbyists
• The Complete Wargames Handbook: How to Play, Design, and Find Them
• Red Team: How to Succeed By Thinking Like the Enemy
• How to Make War (Fourth Edition): A Comprehensive Guide to Modern Warfare in the Twenty-first Century
• Tabletop Wargames: A Designers’ and Writers’ Handbook
• Naval Operations Analysis: Third Edition
• LikeWar: The Weaponization of Social Media