BizStore » Books » The Heart Sutra: A Comprehensive Guide to the Classic of Mahayana Buddhism
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 288
Publication Date: 2016-03-01
Release Date: 2016-03-01
An illuminating in-depth study of one of the most well-known and recited of all the Buddhist texts—by the renowned modern translator. Now in paperback.
The first-century classic Prajnaparamita Hridaya Sutra may be the best known of all the Buddhist scriptures. It's a key Zen text, chanted daily by many, but it is studied extensively in the Tibetan tradition too. In just forty-two lines, it expresses the truth of impermanence and the release of suffering that results from the understanding of that truth with a breathtaking economy of language. Kazuaki Tanahashi's guide to the Heart Sutra is the result of a life spent working with it and living it. He outlines the history and meaning and then analyzes the text line by line in its various forms (Sanskrit, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Tibetan, Mongolian, and various key English translations), providing a deeper understanding of the history and etymology of the elusive words than is generally available to the nonspecialist, yet with a clear emphasis on the relevance of the text to practice. It includes a fresh, modern translation of the text by the author and Roshi Joan Halifax.
• The Heart Sutra
• The Diamond Sutra
• The Other Shore: A New Translation of the Heart Sutra with Commentaries
• Being-Time: A Practitioner's Guide to Dogen's Shobogenzo Uji
• The Mountains and Waters Sutra: A Practitioner's Guide to Dogen's "Sansuikyo"
• The Essence of the Heart Sutra: The Dalai Lama's Heart of Wisdom Teachings
• In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon (The Teachings of the Buddha)
• Realizing Genjokoan: The Key to Dogen's Shobogenzo
• Zen Teachings in Challenging Times
• The Platform Sutra: The Zen Teaching of Hui-neng