BizStore » Books » Battle above the Clouds: Lifting the Siege of Chattanooga and the Battle of Lookout Mountain, October 16 - November 24, 1863 (Emerging Civil War Series)
BizStore » Book
Battle above the Clouds: Lifting the Siege of Chattanooga and the Battle of Lookout Mountain, October 16 - November 24, 1863 (Emerging Civil War Series)
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Savas Beatie
Manufacturer: Savas Beatie
Number Of Pages: 192
Publication Date: 2017-06-05
Publisher: Savas Beatie
Release Date: 2017-06-19
Studio: Savas Beatie
In October 1863, the Union Army of the Cumberland was besieged in Chattanooga, all but surrounded by familiar opponents: The Confederate Army of Tennessee. The Federals were surviving by the narrowest of margins, thanks only to a trickle of supplies painstakingly hauled over the sketchiest of mountain roads. Soon even those quarter-rations would not suffice. Disaster was in the offing.
Yet those Confederates, once jubilant at having routed the Federals at Chickamauga and driven them back into the apparent trap of Chattanooga’s trenches, found their own circumstances increasingly difficult to bear. In the immediate aftermath of their victory, the South rejoiced; the Confederacy’s own disasters of the previous summer—Vicksburg and Gettysburg—were seemingly reversed. Then came stalemate in front of those same trenches. The Confederates held the high ground, Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge, but they could not completely seal off Chattanooga from the north.
The Union responded. Reinforcements were on the way. A new man arrived to take command: Ulysses S. Grant. Confederate General Braxton Bragg, unwilling to launch a frontal attack on Chattanooga’s defenses, sought victory elsewhere, diverting troops to East Tennessee.
Battle above the Clouds by David Powell recounts the first half of the campaign to lift the siege of Chattanooga, including the opening of the “cracker line,” the unusual night battle of Wauhatchie, and one of the most dramatic battles of the entire war: Lookout Mountain.
• Richmond Shall Not Be Given Up: The Seven Days’ Battles, June 25-July 1, 1862 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• All the Fighting They Want: The Atlanta Campaign from Peachtree Creek to the City's Surrender, July 18-September 2, 1864 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• That Field of Blood: The Battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• A Long and Bloody Task: The Atlanta Campaign from Dalton through Kennesaw to the Chattahoochee, May 5-July 18, 1864 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• Bushwhacking on a Grand Scale: The Battle of Chickamauga, September 18-20, 1863 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• Determined to Stand and Fight: The Battle of Monocacy, July 9, 1864 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• The Chickamauga Campaign―Glory or the Grave: The Breakthrough, the Union Collapse, and the Defense of Horseshoe Ridge, September 20, 1863
• The Chickamauga Campaign―Barren Victory: The Retreat into Chattanooga, the Confederate Pursuit, and the Aftermath of the Battle, September 21 to October 20, 1863
• On to Petersburg: Grant and Lee, June 4-15, 1864
• All Hell Can’t Stop Them: The Battles for Chattanooga―Missionary Ridge and Ringgold, November 24-27, 1863 (Emerging Civil War Series)