BizStore » Books » Out Flew the Sabres: The Battle of Brandy Station, June 9, 1863 (Emerging Civil War Series)
BizStore » Book
Out Flew the Sabres: The Battle of Brandy Station, June 9, 1863 (Emerging Civil War Series)
Edition: First Edition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Savas Beatie
Manufacturer: Savas Beatie
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 168
Publication Date: 2016-05-31
Publisher: Savas Beatie
Release Date: 2016-06-14
Studio: Savas Beatie
One day. Fourteen hours. Twelve thousand Union cavalrymen against 9,000 of their Confederate counterparts—with three thousand Union infantry thrown in for good measure. Amidst the thunder of hooves and the clashing of sabers, they slugged it out across the hills and dales of Culpepper County, Virginia.
And it escalated into the largest cavalry battle ever fought on the North American continent.
Fleetwood Hill at Brandy Station was the site of four major cavalry battles during the course of the Civil War, but none was more important than the one fought on June 9, 1863. That clash turned out to be the opening engagement of the Gettysburg Campaign—and the one-day delay it engendered may very well have impacted the outcome of the entire campaign.
The tale includes a veritable who’s-who of cavalry all-stars in the East: Jeb Stuart, Wade Hampton, John Buford, and George Armstrong Custer. Robert E. Lee, the great Confederate commander, saw his son, William H. F. Lee, being carried off the battlefield, severely wounded. Both sides suffered heavy losses.
But for the Federal cavalry, the battle was also a watershed event. After Brandy Station, never again would they hear the mocking cry, “Whoever saw a dead cavalryman?”
In Out Flew the Sabers: The Battle of Brandy Station, June 9, 1863—The Opening Engagement of the Gettysburg Campaign, Civil War historians Eric J. Wittenberg and Daniel T. Davis have written the latest entry in Savas Beatie’s critically acclaimed Emerging Civil War Series.
• Hell Itself: The Battle of the Wilderness, May 5-7, 1864 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• The Last Road North: A Guide to the Gettysburg Campaign, 1863 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• A Season of Slaughter: The Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, May 8-21, 1864 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• Don’t Give an Inch: The Second Day at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• Strike Them a Blow: Battle along the North Anna River, May 21-25, 1864 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• Fight Like the Devil: The First Day at Gettysburg, July 1, 1863 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• Richmond Shall Not Be Given Up: The Seven Days’ Battles, June 25-July 1, 1862 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• Simply Murder: The Battle of Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• Bloody Autumn: The Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1864 (Emerging Civil War Series)
• All the Fighting They Want: The Atlanta Campaign from Peachtree Creek to the City's Surrender, July 18-September 2, 1864 (Emerging Civil War Series)