BizStore » Books » The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics
Brand: Bruce Bueno de Mesquita
Feature: The Dictator s Handbook Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 352
Publication Date: 2012-07-31
• The Dictator s Handbook Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics
A groundbreaking new theory of the real rules of politics: leaders do whatever keeps them in power, regardless of the national interest.
As featured on the viral video Rules for Rulers, which has been viewed over 3 million times.
Bruce Bueno de Mesquita and Alastair Smith's canonical book on political science turned conventional wisdom on its head. They started from a single assertion: Leaders do whatever keeps them in power. They don't care about the "national interest"-or even their subjects-unless they have to.
This clever and accessible book shows that democracy is essentially just a convenient fiction. Governments do not differ in kind but only in the number of essential supporters, or backs that need scratching. The size of this group determines almost everything about politics: what leaders can get away with, and the quality of life or misery under them. The picture the authors paint is not pretty. But it just may be the truth, which is a good starting point for anyone seeking to improve human governance.
• We (Modern Library Classics)
• The Logic of Political Survival (The MIT Press)
• How to Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use
• The Politics of Authoritarian Rule (Cambridge Studies in Comparative Politics)
• The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations
• World Politics: Trend and Transformation, 2016 - 2017
• Guide to Methods for Students of Political Science
• Dictator's Handbook: A Practical Manual for the Aspiring Tyrant
• Russia: What Everyone Needs to Know
• How the Nations Rage: Rethinking Faith and Politics in a Divided Age