BizStore » Books » Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
BizStore » Book
Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
Brand: Fell, Derek
Edition: First Edition
Feature: Rodale Press
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Rodale Books
Manufacturer: Rodale Books
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 336
Publication Date: 2011-04-26
Publisher: Rodale Books
Release Date: 2011-04-26
Studio: Rodale Books
• Rodale Press
The biggest mistake gardeners make each season is starting out too big and then quickly realizing
their large plot requires too much weeding, watering, and backbreaking labor. Vertical gardening guarantees a better outcome from the day the trowel hits the soil—by shrinking the amount of "floor" space needed and focusing on climbing plants that are less prone to insects, diseases, and animal pests.
Notable author and gardener Derek Fell has tried and tested thousands of varieties of vegetables,
flowers, and fruits and recommends the best plants for space-saving vertical gardening. His grow-up,
grow-down system also shows which ground-level plants make good companions underneath and alongside climbing plants. Best of all, many of Fell's greatest climbers and mutually beneficial plants are available in seed packets in every local garden center.
With a mix of DIY and commercially available string supports, trellises, pergolas, raised beds, skyscraper gardens, and topsy-turvy planters, the vertical garden system reduces work, increases yields, makes harvesting easier, and can be practiced in spaces as small as a container or a one-by-four-foot strip. Vertical Gardening features 100 color photos of the author's own vertical methods and showcases beautiful, troublefree perennials, shrubs, vegetables, annuals, and fruit perfect for this new, rewarding way to garden.
• All New Square Foot Gardening II: The Revolutionary Way to Grow More in Less Space
• Trellises, Planters & Raised Beds: 50 Easy, Unique, and Useful Projects You Can Make with Common Tools and Materials
• Raised Bed Revolution: Build It, Fill It, Plant It ... Garden Anywhere!
• Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening
• The Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Make the Most of Your Growing Season
• The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, 2nd Edition: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening Regions: Wide Rows, Organic Methods, Raised Beds, Deep Soil
• The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening)
• Vertical Vegetables & Fruit: Creative Gardening Techniques for Growing Up in Small Spaces
• The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible: How to Grow a Bounty of Food in Pots, Tubs, and Other Containers
• The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year, No Matter Where You Live