BizStore » Books » The Lean Farm Guide to Growing Vegetables: More In-Depth Lean Techniques for Efficient Organic Production
BizStore » Book
The Lean Farm Guide to Growing Vegetables: More In-Depth Lean Techniques for Efficient Organic Production
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Chelsea Green Publishing
Manufacturer: Chelsea Green Publishing
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 272
Publication Date: 2017-11-03
Publisher: Chelsea Green Publishing
Studio: Chelsea Green Publishing
At Clay Bottom Farm, author Ben Hartman and staff practice kaizen, or continuous improvement, cutting out more waste―of time, labor, space, money, and more―every year and aligning their organic production more tightly with customer demand. Applied alongside other lean principles originally developed by the Japanese auto industry, the end result has been increased profits and less work.
In this field-guide companion to his award-winning first book, The Lean Farm, Hartman shows market vegetable growers in even more detail how Clay Bottom Farm implements lean thinking in every area of their work, including using kanbans, or replacement signals, to maximize land use; germination chambers to reduce defect waste; and right-sized machinery to save money and labor and increase efficiency. From finding land and assessing infrastructure needs to selling perfect produce at the farmers market, The Lean Farm Guide to Growing Vegetables digs deeper into specific, tested methods for waste-free farming that not only help farmers become more successful but make the work more enjoyable. These methods include:
Farming is not static, and improvement requires constant change. The Lean Farm Guide to Growing Vegetables offers strategies for farmers to stay flexible and profitable even in the face of changing weather and markets. Much more than a simple exercise in cost-cutting, lean farming is about growing better, not cheaper, food―the food your customers want.
• The Lean Farm: How to Minimize Waste, Increase Efficiency, and Maximize Value and Profits with Less Work
• The Greenhouse and Hoophouse Grower's Handbook: Organic Vegetable Production Using Protected Culture
• Compact Farms: 15 Proven Plans for Market Farms on 5 Acres or Less; Includes Detailed Farm Layouts for Productivity and Efficiency
• The Market Gardener: A Successful Grower's Handbook for Small-scale Organic Farming
• The Urban Farmer: Growing Food for Profit on Leased and Borrowed Land
• The Farmer's Office: Tools, Tips and Templates to Successfully Manage a Growing Farm Business
• The Organic Farmer's Business Handbook: A Complete Guide to Managing Finances, Crops, and Staff - and Making a Profit
• Sustainable Market Farming: Intensive Vegetable Production on a Few Acres
• Mycorrhizal Planet: How Symbiotic Fungi Work with Roots to Support Plant Health and Build Soil Fertility
• Farm Marketing from the Heart: How to attract your dream customers and build your profitable farm.