BizStore » Books » The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 240
Publication Date: 2008-07-29
Release Date: 2008-07-29
If you cut off a spider?s head, it dies; if you cut off a starfish?s leg it grows a new one, and that leg can grow into an entirely new starfish. Traditional top-down organizations are like spiders, but now starfish organizations are changing the face of business and the world.
What?s the hidden power behind the success of Wikipedia, craigslist, and Skype? What do eBay and General Electric have in common with the abolitionist and women?s rights movements? What fundamental choice put General Motors and Toyota on vastly different paths?
Ori Brafman and Rod Beckstrom have discovered some unexpected answers, gripping stories, and a tapestry of unlikely connections. The Starfish and the Spider explores what happens when starfish take on spiders and reveals how established companies and institutions, from IBM to Intuit to the U.S. government, are also learning how to incorporate starfish principles to achieve success.
• Radical Inclusion: What the Post-9/11 World Should Have Taught Us About Leadership
• Mosaics: Reading and Writing Essays (6th Edition)
• Asymmetrical Warfare: Today's Challenge to U.S. Military Power (Issues in Twenty-First Century Warfare)
• Improv Wisdom: Don't Prepare, Just Show Up
• Essentials of Public Service
• The Internet of Money
• Rocking the Boat: How Tempered Radicals Effect Change Without Making Trouble
• People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts
• Monsoon: The Indian Ocean and the Future of American Power
• Inside Terrorism (Columbia Studies in Terrorism and Irregular Warfare)