BizStore » Books » Becoming Friends: Worship, Justice, and the Practice of Christian Friendship
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Brazos Press
Manufacturer: Brazos Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 186
Publication Date: 2002-07-01
Publisher: Brazos Press
Release Date: 2002-07-01
Studio: Brazos Press
How do Christians understand friendship and intimacy? How does worship form Christians into a community of the friends of God? What virtues does God call us to incorporate into our lives? In Becoming Friends, Paul Wadell explores the connections between worship, justice, friendship, and the life we are called to live.
This engaging and accessible book offers a fresh viewpoint from which to explore the nature of Christian friendship. Such friendship, Wadell contends, is more than a bonding of people with similar interests, a "ritual of hopeless consolation." True Christian friendship summons us to love all of our neighbors. Wadell examines obstacles to and characteristics of true friendship and, drawing from the works of Augustine, Aelred of Rievaulx, and other Christian exemplars, contends that we are called to serve God through friendship and that this calling requires us to cultivate certain virtues--especially hope, justice, and forgiveness.
Becoming Friends offers a provocative look into the nature and importance of true Christian friendship. Anyone looking to reflect on the indispensable role of good friendships in the Christian life will find this a hopeful and encouraging book.
• Aelred of Rievaulx: Spiritual Friendship (Cistercian Studies series)
• Spiritual Friendship: Finding Love in the Church as a Celibate Gay Christian
• Other Selves: Philosophers on Friendship
• Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian in Community
• Crossing to Safety (Modern Library Classics)
• The Good Marriage: How and Why Love Lasts
• The Four Loves
• Friendship: Interpreting Christian Love
• Friendship and the Moral Life
• The Company We Keep: In Search of Biblical Friendship