BizStore » Books » The Light Shines on in the Darkness: Transforming Suffering through Faith (Happiness, Suffering, and Transcendence)
BizStore » Book
The Light Shines on in the Darkness: Transforming Suffering through Faith (Happiness, Suffering, and Transcendence)
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Ignatius Press
Manufacturer: Ignatius Press
Number Of Pages: 544
Publication Date: 2017-05-01
Publisher: Ignatius Press
Studio: Ignatius Press
Why would an all-loving God allow suffering? Are not suffering and love opposed to one another? Does suffering have any meaning or benefit? Is there any objective evidence for God, for a soul that will survive bodily death, for the resurrection of Jesus? Who is God anyway – benevolent and loving, or angry and retributive?
Fr. Robert Spitzer, S.J., gives a comprehensive response to these questions and many others, explaining the contemporary evidence for God, the soul, and the resurrection. He discusses how God uses suffering to lead us to compassion for others and eternal life. He also shows how the Holy Spirit guides us through times of suffering toward our salvation, explaining the signs and the interior movements that reveal the Spirit's actions.
Fr. Spitzer not only addresses the perplexing questions associated with suffering but teaches us how to suffer well. He points out some of the most common mistakes people make when trying to interpret God's motives for allowing or alleviating suffering. He demonstrates why suffering – in combination with love – is one of the most powerful motivating agents for personal, cultural, and societal development.
• God So Loved the World: Clues to Our Transcendent Destiny from the Revelation of Jesus (Happiness, Suffering, and Transcendence-Book 3)
• Finding True Happiness: Satisfying Our Restless Hearts (Happiness, Suffering, and Transcendence-Book 1)
• The Soul's Upward Yearning: Clues to Our Transcendent Nature from Experience and Reason (Happiness, Suffering, and Transcendence-Book 2)
• Five Pillars of the Spiritual Life: A Practical Guide to Prayer for Active People
• New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy
• The Power of Silence: Against the Dictatorship of Noise
• Benedict Up Close: The Inside Story of Eight Dramatic Years
• Strangers in a Strange Land: Living the Catholic Faith in a Post-Christian World
• Why I Don't Call Myself Gay: How I Reclaimed My Sexual Reality and Found Peace
• St. Faustina Prayer Book for the Conversion of Sinners