BizStore » Books » Garbology: Our Dirty Love Affair with Trash
Brand: Avery Publishing Group
Feature: Avery Publishing Group
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 336
Publication Date: 2013-03-05
Release Date: 2013-03-05
• Avery Publishing Group
A Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist takes readers on a surprising tour of America’s biggest export, our most prodigious product, and our greatest legacy: our trash
In Garbology, Edward Humes investigates trash—what’s in it; how much we pay for it; how we manage to create so much of it; and how some families, communities, and even nations are finding a way back from waste to discover a new kind of prosperity. Along the way , he introduces a collection of garbage denizens unlike anyone you’ve ever met: the trash-tracking detectives of MIT, the bulldozer-driving sanitation workers building Los Angeles’ Garbage Mountain landfill, the artists residing in San Francisco’s dump, and the family whose annual trash output fills not a dumpster or a trash can, but a single mason jar.Garbology reveals not just what we throw away, but who we are and where our society is headed. Waste is the one environmental and economic harm that ordinary working Americans have the power to change—and prosper in the process.
Garbology is raising awareness of trash consumption and is sparking community-wide action through One City One Book programs around the country.
It is becoming an increasingly popular addition to high school and college syllabi and is being adopted by many colleges and universities for First Year Experience programs.
• Junkyard Planet: Travels in the Billion-Dollar Trash Trade
• Gone Tomorrow: The Hidden Life of Garbage
• The Story of Stuff: The Impact of Overconsumption on the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health-And How We Can Make It Better
• Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life by Reducing Your Waste
• Garbage Land: On the Secret Trail of Trash
• Sustaining the Earth
• Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash
• Rubbish!: The Archaeology of Garbage
• Betting the Farm on a Drought: Stories from the Front Lines of Climate Change
• No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet, and the Discoveries He Makes About Himself and Our Way of Life in the Process