BizStore » Books » Plastic Ocean: How a Sea Captain's Chance Discovery Launched a Determined Quest to Save the Oceans
BizStore » Book
Plastic Ocean: How a Sea Captain's Chance Discovery Launched a Determined Quest to Save the Oceans
Brand: Brand: Avery Trade
Feature: Used Book in Good Condition
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 384
Publication Date: 2012-09-04
Release Date: 2012-09-04
• Used Book in Good Condition
The researcher who discovered the Great Pacific Garbage Patch—and remains one of today's key advocates for plastic pollution awareness—inspires a fundamental rethinking of the modern Plastic Age.
In 1997, environmentalist Charles Moore discovered the world's largest collection of floating trash—the Great Pacific Garbage Patch ("GPGP")—while sailing from Hawaii to California. Moore was shocked by the level of pollution that he saw. And in the last 20 years, it's only gotten worse—a 2018 study has found that the vast dump of plastic waste swirling in the Pacific Ocean is now bigger than France, Germany, and Spain combined—far larger than previously feared.
In Plastic Ocean, Moore recounts his ominous findings and unveils the secret life of plastics. From milk jugs and abandoned fishing gear to polymer molecules small enough to penetrate human skin and be unknowingly inhaled, plastic is now suspected of contributing to a host of ailments, including infertility, autism, thyroid dysfunction, and certain cancers. An urgent call to action, Plastic Ocean's sobering revalations have been embraced by activists, concerned parents, and anyone alarmed by the deadly impact and implications of this man-made environmental catastrophe.
• The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One
• Garbology: Our Dirty Love Affair with Trash
• Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change
• Hot, Hungry Planet: The Fight to Stop a Global Food Crisis in the Face of Climate Change
• Plastic: A Toxic Love Story
• Junk Raft: An Ocean Voyage and a Rising Tide of Activism to Fight Plastic Pollution
• The Wizard and the Prophet: Two Remarkable Scientists and Their Dueling Visions to Shape Tomorrow's World
• Tracking Trash: Flotsam, Jetsam, and the Science of Ocean Motion (Scientists in the Field Series)
• The Brothers: John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles, and Their Secret World War
• The Way of the Knife: The CIA, a Secret Army, and a War at the Ends of the Earth