BizStore » Books » Conversations with Carl Sagan (Literary Conversations)
Brand: Brand: University Press of Mississippi
Feature: Used Book in Good Condition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: University Press of Mississippi
Manufacturer: University Press of Mississippi
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 194
Publication Date: 2006-01-05
Publisher: University Press of Mississippi
Studio: University Press of Mississippi
• Used Book in Good Condition
Though a well-regarded physicist Carl Sagan (1934-1996) is best-known as a writer of popular nonfiction and science fiction and as the host of the PBS series Cosmos. Through his writings and spoken commentary, he worked to popularize interests in astronomy, the universe, and the possibility of extraterrestrial life. From the beginning of his public career, when he co-wrote Intelligent Life in the Universe to the very end as he worked on the 1997 film adaptation of his novel Contact, these subjects absorbed him.
This interest in space was rooted in his understanding of the smallness and vulnerability of humanity measured against the immense size and power of the universe. This profound philosophical humility, mixed with personal exuberance, comes through in Conversations with Carl Sagan. In interviews and profiles, Sagan discusses with verve a wide variety of topics--the environment, nuclear disarmament, religion, politics, extraterrestrial life, astronomy, physics, robotics. Whether he is discussing his science fiction or his well-researched nonfiction works, his voice embraces reason and skepticism.
This volume shows how Sagan, a lifelong skeptic, refined his views and expressed amazement that Earth, for all his belief in extraterrestrial life, encompasses everything about which he cared.
• The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
• Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
• Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
• The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence
• The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God
• Billions & Billions: Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium
• Chemistry Imagined: Reflections on Science
• A Velocity of Being: Letters to A Young Reader
• Broca's Brain: Reflections on the Romance of Science