BizStore » Books » Spam Nation: The Inside Story of Organized Cybercrime-from Global Epidemic to Your Front Door
BizStore » Book
Spam Nation: The Inside Story of Organized Cybercrime-from Global Epidemic to Your Front Door
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 320
Publication Date: 2015-05-01
Release Date: 2015-05-01
Now a New York Times bestseller!
Winner of a 2015 Prose Award!
There is a Threat Lurking Online with the Power to Destroy Your Finances, Steal Your Personal Data, and Endanger Your Life.
In Spam Nation, investigative journalist and cybersecurity expert Brian Krebs unmasks the criminal masterminds driving some of the biggest spam and hacker operations targeting Americans and their bank accounts. Tracing the rise, fall, and alarming resurrection of the digital mafia behind the two largest spam pharmacies-and countless viruses, phishing, and spyware attacks-he delivers the first definitive narrative of the global spam problem and its threat to consumers everywhere.
Blending cutting-edge research, investigative reporting, and firsthand interviews, this terrifying true story reveals how we unwittingly invite these digital thieves into our lives every day. From unassuming computer programmers right next door to digital mobsters like "Cosma"-who unleashed a massive malware attack that has stolen thousands of Americans' logins and passwords-Krebs uncovers the shocking lengths to which these people will go to profit from our data and our wallets.
Not only are hundreds of thousands of Americans exposing themselves to fraud and dangerously toxic products from rogue online pharmacies, but even those who never open junk messages are at risk. As Krebs notes, spammers can-and do-hack into accounts through these emails, harvest personal information like usernames and passwords, and sell them on the digital black market. The fallout from this global epidemic doesn't just cost consumers and companies billions, it costs lives too.
Fast-paced and utterly gripping, Spam Nation ultimately proposes concrete solutions for protecting ourselves online and stemming this tidal wave of cybercrime-before it's too late.
"Krebs's talent for exposing the weaknesses in online security has earned him respect in the IT business and loathing among cybercriminals... His track record of scoops...has helped him become the rare blogger who supports himself on the strength of his reputation for hard-nosed reporting." -Bloomberg Businessweek
• Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker
• Countdown to Zero Day: Stuxnet and the Launch of the World's First Digital Weapon
• Kingpin: How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground
• Future Crimes: Inside the Digital Underground and the Battle for Our Connected World
• Data and Goliath: The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World
• Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War
• The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage
• The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
• Crime Online
• We Are Anonymous: Inside the Hacker World of LulzSec, Anonymous, and the Global Cyber Insurgency