BizStore » Books » The Zeppelin
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Pen and Sword
Manufacturer: Pen and Sword
Number Of Pages: 240
Publication Date: 2015-05-19
Publisher: Pen and Sword
Studio: Pen and Sword
This new publication from Michael Belafi offers some truly intriguing content. Photographs of the mighty Zeppelin at all stages of development feature in a publication that aims to chart the entire course of the airship's history.
Named after the German Count Ferdinand Von Zeppelin, an early pioneer of rigid airship development, the Zeppelin was first flown commercially by Deutsch Luftschiffahrts (DELAG), the world's first airline in revenue service. By mid-1914, DELAG had carried over 10,000 fare-paying passengers on over 1500 flights. When war hit, it was employed to military advantage, wreaking carnage upon Britain's towns and cities. German defeat in 1918 temporarily halted the airship business (many had to be surrendered under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles), although it did bounce back with the construction of the Graf Zeppelin in the 30s. A series of terrible accidents was soon to signal the demise of the Zeppelin however; following the Hindenburg disaster of 1937, and in the midst of a host of political and economic issues, the Zeppelin was soon to be consigned to the history books as one of the great aviation relics of the 20th Century. This new publication explores each facet of its history, and concludes by assessing the legacy of rigid airship development, still felt to this day.
This book is extensively illustrated with black-and-white photographs and drawings. The author is to be commended for not only recounting the zeppelin’s high-flying history, but also assessing its continuing influence on today’s airship development
Toy Soldier and Model Figure Magazine
highly recommended as a new and sweeping overview of an epic aviation development whose day may yet be far from done.
Over the Front Winter 2016
• Zeppelin Hindenburg: An Illustrated History of LZ-129
• Zeppelin: The Story of Lighter-than-air Craft
• Fatal Flight: The True Story of Britain's Last Great Airship
• Airship on a Shoestring the Story of R 100
• Zeppelin Blitz: The German Air Raids on Great Britain During the First World War
• The Millionth Chance: The Story of the R.101
• Sky Ships: A History of the Airship in the United States Navy, 25th Anniversary Edition
• The First Blitz: Bombing London in the First World War (General Military)
• The Airship ROMA Disaster in Hampton Roads
• Gott Strafe England: The German Air Assault against Great Britain 1914–1918. Volume 1