BizStore » Books » A Ringside Affair: Boxing’s Last Golden Age
Brand: BLOOMSBURY SPORT
Feature: BLOOMSBURY SPORT
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Bloomsbury Sport
Manufacturer: Bloomsbury Sport
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 304
Publication Date: 2017-12-12
Publisher: Bloomsbury Sport
Release Date: 2017-12-12
Studio: Bloomsbury Sport
• BLOOMSBURY SPORT
For nearly three decades--throughout boxing's most engrossing era from 1977 through 2002--James Lawton was ringside, covering every significant bout, spending time with the likes of Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hitman Hearns, Roberto Duran, Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, and many other great fighters.
Lawton found himself captivated by the sport as he followed it around the world. From a big fight's initial announcement, through the fighters' punishing training regimes, the overblown press conferences and dramatic weigh-ins, up to the bout itself and its savage fallout--Lawton observed and absorbed it all, grateful for the remarkable access he was afforded. He witnessed Ali screaming in pain for his dressing room lights to be turned out after a fight; he was there to meet Tyson at the prison gates on his release in 1992; he listened as former champions wept while struggling to find their new place in the world. As part of a small, tight-knit group of sportswriters with the privilege of covering each fight in such intimate detail, Lawton formed lifelong friendships and found himself forever altered by being caught up in the whirlwind of a sport at its most spellbinding.
A Ringside Affair brings that brilliant epoch back to life--and puts it in the perspective it deserves. It salutes the epic quality of boxing's last years of glory, retraces arguably the richest inheritance bequeathed to any sport, and speculates on the possibility that we will never see such fighting again.
It is part celebration, part lament, but perhaps most of all it is a personal record of some of most enthralling and challenging days produced by the world's oldest sport.
• The Boxing Kings: When American Heavyweights Ruled the Ring
• Protect Yourself at All Times: An Inside Look at Another Year in Boxing
• Unbeaten: Rocky Marciano's Fight for Perfection in a Crooked World
• RINGSIDE SEAT Review 2018
• Dog Rounds: Death and Life in the Boxing Ring
• Ali: A Life
• There Will Always Be Boxing: Another Year Inside the Sweet Science
• The Golden Age of Boxing on Radio and Television: A Blow-by-Blow History from 1921 to 1964
• Chuvalo: A Fighter's Life: The Story Of Boxing's Last Gladiator
• Off The Ropes: The Ron Lyle Story