BizStore » Books » Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
Brand: Grand Central Pub
Feature: Grand Central Pub
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Grand Central Publishing
Manufacturer: Grand Central Publishing
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 304
Publication Date: 2016-01-05
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Release Date: 2016-01-05
Studio: Grand Central Publishing
• Grand Central Pub
One of the most valuable skills in our economy is becoming increasingly rare. If you master this skill, you'll achieve extraordinary results.
Deep work is the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task. It's a skill that allows you to quickly master complicated information and produce better results in less time. Deep work will make you better at what you do and provide the sense of true fulfillment that comes from craftsmanship. In short, deep work is like a super power in our increasingly competitive twenty-first century economy. And yet, most people have lost the ability to go deep-spending their days instead in a frantic blur of e-mail and social media, not even realizing there's a better way.
In DEEP WORK, author and professor Cal Newport flips the narrative on impact in a connected age. Instead of arguing distraction is bad, he instead celebrates the power of its opposite. Dividing this book into two parts, he first makes the case that in almost any profession, cultivating a deep work ethic will produce massive benefits. He then presents a rigorous training regimen, presented as a series of four "rules," for transforming your mind and habits to support this skill.
A mix of cultural criticism and actionable advice, DEEP WORK takes the reader on a journey through memorable stories -- from Carl Jung building a stone tower in the woods to focus his mind, to a social media pioneer buying a round-trip business class ticket to Tokyo to write a book free from distraction in the air -- and no-nonsense advice, such as the claim that most serious professionals should quit social media and that you should practice being bored. DEEP WORK is an indispensable guide to anyone seeking focused success in a distracted world.
• So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
• How to Become a Straight-A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real College Students Use to Score High While Studying Less
• How to Be a High School Superstar: A Revolutionary Plan to Get into College by Standing Out (Without Burning Out)
• So Good They Cant Ignore You
• How to Win at College: Surprising Secrets for Success from the Country's Top Students
• Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
• A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)
• Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
• The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
• The Way to Love: The Last Meditations of Anthony de Mello (Image Pocket Classics)