BizStore » Books » So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
BizStore » Book
So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
Brand: Business Plus
Feature: Business Plus
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Grand Central Publishing
Manufacturer: Grand Central Publishing
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 304
Publication Date: 2012-09-18
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Studio: Grand Central Publishing
• Business Plus
In this eye-opening account, Cal Newport debunks the long-held belief that "follow your passion" is good advice. Not only is the cliché flawed-preexisting passions are rare and have little to do with how most people end up loving their work-but it can also be dangerous, leading to anxiety and chronic job hopping.
After making his case against passion, Newport sets out on a quest to discover the reality of how people end up loving what they do. Spending time with organic farmers, venture capitalists, screenwriters, freelance computer programmers, and others who admitted to deriving great satisfaction from their work, Newport uncovers the strategies they used and the pitfalls they avoided in developing their compelling careers.
Matching your job to a preexisting passion does not matter, he reveals. Passion comes after you put in the hard work to become excellent at something valuable, not before.
In other words, what you do for a living is much less important than how you do it.
With a title taken from the comedian Steve Martin, who once said his advice for aspiring entertainers was to "be so good they can't ignore you," Cal Newport's clearly written manifesto is mandatory reading for anyone fretting about what to do with their life, or frustrated by their current job situation and eager to find a fresh new way to take control of their livelihood. He provides an evidence-based blueprint for creating work you love.
SO GOOD THEY CAN'T IGNORE YOU will change the way we think about our careers, happiness, and the crafting of a remarkable life.
• Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
• How to Become a Straight-A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real College Students Use to Score High While Studying Less
• How to Win at College: Surprising Secrets for Success from the Country's Top Students
• A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)
• How to Be a High School Superstar: A Revolutionary Plan to Get into College by Standing Out (Without Burning Out)
• Miracle Morning Millionaires: What the Wealthy Do Before 8AM That Will Make You Rich (The Miracle Morning)
• The Productivity Project: Accomplishing More by Managing Your Time, Attention, and Energy
• The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field
• 10 Steps to Earning Awesome Grades (While Studying Less)