BizStore » Books » American Canopy: Trees, Forests, and the Making of a Nation
Brand: Scribner Book Company
Feature: Scribner Book Company
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 416
Publication Date: 2013-04-02
Release Date: 2013-04-02
• Scribner Book Company
This fascinating and groundbreaking work tells the remarkable story of the relationship between Americans and their trees across the entire span of our nation’s history.
Eric Rutkow’s “deeply fascinating” (The Boston Globe) work shows how trees were essential to the early years of the republic and indivisible from the country’s rise as both an empire and a civilization. Among American Canopy’s many captivating stories: the Liberty Trees, where colonists gathered to plot rebellion against the British; Henry David Thoreau’s famous retreat into the woods; the creation of New York City’s Central Park; the great fire of 1871 that killed a thousand people in the lumber town of Peshtigo, Wisconsin; the fevered attempts to save the American chestnut and the American elm from extinction; and the controversy over spotted owls and the old-growth forests they inhabited. Rutkow also explains how trees were of deep interest to such figures as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Teddy Roosevelt, and Franklin Roosevelt, who oversaw the planting of some three billion trees nationally in his time as president.
Never before has anyone treated our country’s trees and forests as the subject of a broad historical study, and the result is an accessible, informative, and thoroughly entertaining read. Audacious in its four-hundred-year scope, authoritative in its detail, and elegant in its execution, American Canopy is perfect for history buffs and nature lovers alike and announces Eric Rutkow as a major new author of popular history.
• Urban Forests: A Natural History of Trees and People in the American Cityscape
• Oak: The Frame of Civilization
• The Longest Line on the Map: The United States, the Pan-American Highway, and the Quest to Link the Americas
• A Natural History of North American Trees (Donald Culross Peattie Library)
• White Pine: American History and the Tree that Made a Nation
• Looking for Longleaf: The Fall and Rise of an American Forest
• The Songs of Trees: Stories from Nature's Great Connectors
• Creating a Forestry for the 21st Century: The Science Of Ecosytem Management
• The Overstory: A Novel
• The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring