BizStore » Books » Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being
Brand: Atria Books
Feature: Great product!
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Atria Books
Manufacturer: Atria Books
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 368
Publication Date: 2012-02-07
Publisher: Atria Books
Release Date: 2012-02-07
Studio: Atria Books
• Great product!
From the bestselling author of Learned Optimism and Authentic Happiness comes “a relentlessly optimistic guidebook on finding and securing individual happiness” (Kirkus Reviews).
With this unprecedented promise, internationally esteemed psychologist Martin Seligman begins Flourish, his first book in ten years—and the first to present his dynamic new concept of what well-being really is. Traditionally, the goal of psychology has been to relieve human suffering, but the goal of the Positive Psychology movement, which Dr. Seligman has led for fifteen years, is different—it’s about actually raising the bar for the human condition.
Flourish builds on Dr. Seligman’s game-changing work on optimism, motivation, and character to show how to get the most out of life, unveiling an electrifying new theory of what makes a good life—for individuals, for communities, and for nations. In a fascinating evolution of thought and practice, Flourish refines what Positive Psychology is all about.
While certainly a part of well-being, happiness alone doesn’t give life meaning. Seligman now asks, What is it that enables you to cultivate your talents, to build deep, lasting relationships with others, to feel pleasure, and to contribute meaningfully to the world? In a word, what is it that allows you to flourish? “Well-being” takes the stage front and center, and Happiness (or Positive Emotion) becomes one of the five pillars of Positive Psychology, along with Engagement, Relationships, Meaning, and Accomplishment—or PERMA, the permanent building blocks for a life of profound fulfillment.
Thought-provoking in its implications for education, economics, therapy, medicine, and public policy—the very fabric of society—Flourish tells inspiring stories of Positive Psychology in action, including how the entire U.S. Army is now trained in emotional resilience; how innovative schools can educate for fulfillment in life and not just for workplace success; and how corporations can improve performance at the same time as they raise employee well-being.
With interactive exercises to help readers explore their own attitudes and aims, Flourish is a watershed in the understanding of happiness as well as a tool for getting the most out of life. On the cutting edge of a science that has changed millions of lives, Dr. Seligman now creates the ultimate extension and capstone of his bestselling classics, Authentic Happiness and Learned Optimism.
• The Intentional Family: Simple Rituals to Strengthen Family Ties
• Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life
• Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment
• Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
• A Primer in Positive Psychology (Oxford Positive Psychology Series)
• The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want
• Positivity: Top-Notch Research Reveals the 3-to-1 Ratio That Will Change Your Life
• Positive Psychology: The Scientific and Practical Explorations of Human Strengths
• Why We Do What We Do: Understanding Self-Motivation
• The Hope Circuit: A Psychologist's Journey from Helplessness to Optimism