BizStore » Books » Mental Health Issues and the University Student
Brand: Johns Hopkins University Press
Feature: Johns Hopkins University Press
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 258
Publication Date: 2014-03-01
Release Date: 2014-02-04
• Johns Hopkins University Press
Young adults enter college with many challenges?complicated family dynamics, identity issues, and extreme pressure to succeed, among others. Students may also have mental health difficulties, ranging from adjustment disorders to mood disorders, and growing numbers of them are seeking help on campus.
But these students are also resilient and eager to learn, stepping onto campus with hope for a new and better phase of life. Doris Iarovici, a psychiatrist at Duke University Counseling and Psychological Services, sees in college and university mental health services an opportunity for mental health professionals to bring about positive change with young people during a crucial period of their development.
Dr. Iarovici describes the current college mental health crisis and narrates how college mental health services have evolved along with changes in student populations. She discusses students’ lifestyle problems and psychiatric concerns, using case vignettes to explore a variety of interventions. Included are discussions of substance abuse, relationship difficulties, eating disorders, depression and anxiety, and culture clashes. Problems uniquely addressed in this book include sleep disturbances and perfectionism. An essential component of the volume is a guide to making emergency assessments, from risk classification and hospitalization to public safety and communication within and outside the campus community.
• College of the Overwhelmed: The Campus Mental Health Crisis and What to Do About It
• The Campus Cure: A Parent's Guide to Mental Health and Wellness for College Students
• College Student Mental Health: New Directions for Student Services, Number 156 (J-B SS Single Issue Student Services)
• Mental Health Care in the College Community
• U Thrive: How to Succeed in College (and Life)
• College Student Mental Health Counseling: A Developmental Approach
• The Freshman Survival Guide: Soulful Advice for Studying, Socializing, and Everything In Between
• Wellness Issues for Higher Education
• A Guide to Crisis Intervention
• Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership