BizStore » Books » Handing One Another Along: Literature and Social Reflection
Brand: Random House
Feature: Great product!
Format: Deckle Edge
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Random House
Manufacturer: Random House
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 304
Publication Date: 2010-08-31
Publisher: Random House
Release Date: 2010-08-31
Studio: Random House
• Great product!
In this book on shaping a meaningful and ethical life, the renowned, Pulitzer Prize–winning author explores how character, courage, and human and moral understanding can be fostered by reflecting on the lives of others, through stories. Based on Robert Coles’ legendary course at Harvard, this provocative book addresses such questions as, “Who are we? Where do we come from? Where are we going?” It calls on us to become stronger and more aware, by reflecting on ourselves and others with the help of great literature and art.
Dr. Coles shows how the work of writers, artists, and thinkers of the past two centuries can inspire our own reflections on the daily lives we lead. He offers a compelling call to venture outside of our own selves and lives and to listen, attentively and with growing humanity, to the way others get through life. Coles encourages us to examine our own character, kindness, and complexity by looking carefully at our perceptions of others, and by studying the wisdom of authors from Charles Dickens to Flannery O’Connor, from James Agee to George Orwell, and many others. In this influential conversation about empathy and engagement, Coles inspires us to seek out deeper meaning in our lives, and guides us toward achieving greater clarity, strength, and richness of understanding, amid the moral, psychological, and social complexities of the modern world.
• The Call of Stories: Teaching and the Moral Imagination
• Teaching Stories: An Anthology on the Power of Learning and Literature (Modern Library Paperbacks)
• Let Us Now Praise Famous Men: The American Classic, in Words and Photographs, of Three Tenant Families in the Deep South
• Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right
• The Spiritual Life of Children
• Where I'm Reading From: The Changing World of Books
• Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
• Lives We Carry with Us: Profiles of Moral Courage
• Lives of Moral Leadership: Men and Women Who Have Made a Difference
• Literacy Theory as Practice: Connecting Theory and Instruction in K 12-Classrooms (Language and Literacy (Paperback))