BizStore » Books » The Truth Machine: The Blockchain and the Future of Everything
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: St. Martin's Press
Manufacturer: St. Martin's Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 320
Publication Date: 2018-02-27
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: 2018-02-27
Studio: St. Martin's Press
"Views differ on bitcoin, but few doubt the transformative potential of Blockchain technology. The Truth Machine is the best book so far on what has happened and what may come along. It demands the attention of anyone concerned with our economic future." ―Lawrence H. Summers, Charles W. Eliot University Professor and President Emeritus at Harvard, Former Treasury Secretary
Big banks have grown bigger and more entrenched. Privacy exists only until the next hack. Credit card fraud is a fact of life. Many of the “legacy systems” once designed to make our lives easier and our economy more efficient are no longer up to the task. Yet there is a way past all this―a new kind of operating system with the potential to revolutionize vast swaths of our economy: the blockchain.
In The Truth Machine, Michael J. Casey and Paul Vigna demystify the blockchain and explain why it can restore personal control over our data, assets, and identities; grant billions of excluded people access to the global economy; and shift the balance of power to revive society’s faith in itself. They reveal the disruption it promises for industries including finance, tech, legal, and shipping.
Casey and Vigna expose the challenge of replacing trusted (and not-so-trusted) institutions on which we’ve relied for centuries with a radical model that bypasses them. The Truth Machine reveals the empowerment possible when self-interested middlemen give way to the transparency of the blockchain, while highlighting the job losses, assertion of special interests, and threat to social cohesion that will accompany this shift. With the same balanced perspective they brought to The Age of Cryptocurrency, Casey and Vigna show why we all must care about the path that blockchain technology takes―moving humanity forward, not backward.
• Blockchain Basics: A Non-Technical Introduction in 25 Steps
• The Age of Cryptocurrency: How Bitcoin and the Blockchain Are Challenging the Global Economic Order
• Blockchain and the Law: The Rule of Code
• Cryptoassets: The Innovative Investor's Guide to Bitcoin and Beyond
• The Age of Cryptocurrency: How Bitcoin and Digital Money Are Challenging the Global Economic Order
• Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin Is Changing Money, Business, and the World
• Skin in the Game: Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life
• Mastering Bitcoin: Programming the Open Blockchain
• The Internet of Money
• The Internet of Money