BizStore » Books » The Ethics of Aquinas (Moral Traditions Series)
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Georgetown University Press
Manufacturer: Georgetown University Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 544
Publication Date: 2002-06-06
Publisher: Georgetown University Press
Studio: Georgetown University Press
In this comprehensive anthology, twenty-seven outstanding scholars from North America and Europe address every major aspect of Thomas Aquinas's understanding of morality and comment on his remarkable legacy. While there has been a revival of interest in recent years in the ethics of St. Thomas, no single work has yet fully examined the basic moral arguments and content of Aquinas' major moral work, the Second Part of the Summa Theologiae. This work fills that lacuna.
The first chapters of The Ethics of Aquinas introduce readers to the sources, methods, and major themes of Aquinas's ethics. The second part of the book provides an extended discussion of ideas in the Second Part of the Summa Theologiae, in which contributors present cogent interpretations of the structure, major arguments, and themes of each of the treatises. The third and final part examines aspects of Thomistic ethics in the twentieth century and beyond.
These essays reflect a diverse group of scholars representing a variety of intellectual perspectives. Contributors span numerous fields of study, including intellectual history, medieval studies, moral philosophy, religious ethics, and moral theology. This remarkable variety underscores how interpretations of Thomas's ethics continue to develop and evolve―and stimulate fervent discussion within the academy and the church.
This volume is aimed at scholars, students, clergy, and all those who continue to find Aquinas a rich source of moral insight.
• The Pinckaers Reader: Renewing Thomistic Moral Theology
• After Virtue: A Study in Moral Theory, Third Edition
• The Westminster Handbook to Thomas Aquinas (Westminster Handbooks to Christian Theology)
• The Sources of Christian Ethics, 3rd Edition
• The Story of Ethics: Fulfilling Our Human Nature
• Aquinas on the Emotions: A Religious-Ethical Inquiry (Moral Traditions)
• Martin Luther : Selections From His Writings
• Glittering Vices: A New Look at the Seven Deadly Sins and Their Remedies
• Morality: The Catholic View
• The Light of Christ: An Introduction to Catholicism