BizStore » Books » The Interpretation of Fairy Tales
Brand: Shambhala Publications
Edition: Revised, Subsequent
Feature: Shambhala Publications
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 208
Publication Date: 1996-07-09
Release Date: 1996-07-09
• Shambhala Publications
Of the various types of mythological literature, fairy tales are the simplest and purest expressions of the collective unconscious and thus offer the clearest understanding of the basic patterns of the human psyche. Every people or nation has its own way of experiencing this psychic reality, and so a study of the world's fairy tales yields a wealth of insights into the archetypal experiences of humankind.
Perhaps the foremost authority on the psychological interpretation of fairy tales is Marie-Louise von Franz. In this book—originally published as An Introduction to the Interpretation of Fairy Tales —she describes the steps involved in analyzing and illustrates them with a variety of European tales, from "Beauty and the Beast" to "The Robber Bridegroom."
Dr. von Franz begins with a history of the study of fairy tales and the various theories of interpretation. By way of illustration she presents a detailed examination of a simple Grimm's tale, "The Three Feathers," followed by a comprehensive discussion of motifs related to Jung's concept of the shadow, the anima, and the animus. This revised edition has been corrected and updated by the author.
• Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales (C. G. Jung Foundation Books Series)
• The Feminine in Fairy Tales
• Alchemy: An Introduction to the Symbolism and the Psychology (Studies in Jungian Psychology)
• The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales
• Archetypal Patterns in Fairy Tales (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts)
• Inner Work: Using Dreams and Active Imagination for Personal Growth
• Ego and Archetype (C. G. Jung Foundation Books Series)
• On Divination and Synchronicity: The Psychology of Meaningful Chance (Studies in Jungian Psychology)
• Individuation in Fairy Tales (C. G. Jung Foundation Books Series)
• Anatomy of the Psyche: Alchemical Symbolism in Psychotherapy (Reality of the Psyche Series)