BizStore » Books » Everything You Wanted to Know About Indians But Were Afraid to Ask
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Borealis Books
Manufacturer: Borealis Books
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 184
Publication Date: 2012-05-01
Publisher: Borealis Books
Studio: Borealis Books
"I had a profoundly well-educated Princetonian ask me, 'Where is your tomahawk?' I had a beautiful woman approach me in the college gymnasium and exclaim, 'You have the most beautiful red skin.' I took a friend to see Dances with Wolves and was told, 'Your people have a beautiful culture.' . . . I made many lifelong friends at college, and they supported but also challenged me with questions like, 'Why should Indians have reservations?'"
What have you always wanted to know about Indians? Do you think you should already know the answers—or suspect that your questions may be offensive? In matter-of-fact responses to over 120 questions, both thoughtful and outrageous, modern and historical, Ojibwe scholar and cultural preservationist Anton Treuer gives a frank, funny, and sometimes personal tour of what's up with Indians, anyway.
—What is the real story of Thanksgiving?
—Why are tribal languages important?
—What do you think of that incident where people died in a sweat lodge?
White/Indian relations are often characterized by guilt and anger. Everything You Wanted to Know about Indians but Were Afraid to Ask cuts through the emotion and builds a foundation for true understanding and positive action.
• "All the Real Indians Died Off": And 20 Other Myths About Native Americans
• Genocide of the Mind: New Native American Writing (Nation Books)
• Indian Nations of Wisconsin: Histories of Endurance and Renewal, 2 Edition
• Native People of Wisconsin, Revised Edition (New Badger History)
• Culturally Proficient Instruction: A Guide for People Who Teach
• Atlas of Indian Nations
• Night Flying Woman: An Ojibway Narrative (Native Voices)
• Life's Journey―Zuya: Oral Teachings from Rosebud
• Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present, 1492-2000, Revised Edition