BizStore » Books » Grammar for College Writing: A Sentence-Composing Approach
Brand: Brand: Heinemann
Feature: Used Book in Good Condition
Item Dimensions: Array
Manufacturer Maximum Age: 21
Manufacturer Minimum Age: 17
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 240
Publication Date: 2010-02-16
Release Date: 2010-02-16
• Used Book in Good Condition
Across America, in thousands of classrooms, from elementary school to high school, the time-tested sentence-composing approach has given students tools to become better writers. Now the Killgallons present a much anticipated sentence-composing grammar worktext for college writing.
GRAMMAR FOR COLLEGE WRITING: A Sentence-Composing Approach presents a new and easier way to understand grammar:
Within each group, using model sentences by authors, students learn and practice words, phrases, and clauses that share the group's function. The Killgallons' accessible approach develops students' use of twenty-one grammatical tools to build sentences like those of recognizable authors. All tools are practiced through the Killgallons' signature methods: matching, unscrambling, combining, imitating, exchanging, expanding. Each tool is introduced with a clear definition and characteristics; practiced through six varied sentence-composing activities; then applied in an academic or creative composition that spotlights the tool.
Students learn from model sentences chosen for two reasons: their grammatical structure (the sentence in the story) and their interesting content (the story in the sentence). GRAMMAR FOR COLLEGE WRITING gives students the chance to absorb and replicate the grammatical tools used by John Steinbeck, J. K. Rowling, Ernest Hemingway, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Truman Capote, Stephen King, and hundreds more.
This worktext works beyond preparing first-year college students for college writing. It is well suited for many contexts:
An online instructor's manual includes background information, advice, tips, resources, and the original professional sentences used for activities.
GRAMMAR FOR COLLEGE WRITING: A Sentence-Composing Approach is the most comprehensive worktext yet from the originators of that approach: the Killgallons. Guide your students toward mastery of the "grammar of the greats" by inviting hundreds of great authors to serve as their mentors-and the Killgallons as their guides.
To request this title as a Desk/Exam copy, click here.
To view the PRINTABLE Instructor's Manual, click here.
Teacher's Booklet -- guidance for teaching with this particular student worktext, including pacing suggestions and answer key
• Everything Bad is Good for You: How Today's Popular Culture is Actually Making Us Smarter
• The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains
• Sentence Composing for College: A Worktext on Sentence Variety and Maturity
• Grammar for High School: A Sentence-Composing Approach---A Student Worktext
• World Religions (2015): A Voyage of Discovery 4th Edition
• The United States Constitution: What It Says, What It Means: A Hip Pocket Guide
• The Namesake: A Novel
• Paragraphs for High School: A Sentence-Composing Approach
• American Government and Politics Today: Essentials 2017-2018 Edition
• Marriage And Holy Orders: Your Call to Love And Serve