BizStore » Books » Mesillat Yesharim: The Path of the Upright
Edition: Critical ed.
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: The Jewish Publication Society
Manufacturer: The Jewish Publication Society
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 550
Publication Date: 2010-09-15
Publisher: The Jewish Publication Society
Studio: The Jewish Publication Society
Thanks to this generous donor for making the publication of this book possible: The Lerman Family Foundation.
Connecting the wisdom of tradition with contemporary spirituality
Mesillat Yesharim is a classic of Jewish ethical literature. Written by one of the leading kabbalists of the late Middle Ages, it is also a window into the kabbalist’s understanding of the connection between ethics and mystical vision. Luzzatto, one of the great Hebrew stylists of his time, is acknowledged by some as the first writer of modern Hebrew; thus Mesillat Yesharim is also important for its place in Hebrew literature.
This translation, published originally in 1936 by JPS, is a landmark in Jewish publishing. It made this Hebrew text finally available to English readers, and it gave us insights into the groundbreaking work that Kaplan did in orienting American Jews to the deep connection between ethical living and religious belief. It is no wonder that this book has become the centerpiece of the modern-day Mussar Movement, which inspires so many on their spiritual path.
Rabbi Ira Stone, consummate teacher and stirring speaker, is a major force in the resurgence of the Mussar Movement. In his introduction, he presents Luzzatto and Mesillat Yesharim in their historical context, and gives us new insights into Kaplan’s emerging theology. Stone also explains the principles of reading that he uses in his commentary and teaching to make this medieval text so inspiring to readers today.
This volume contains the original Kaplan translation, as well as those sections of the text that Kaplan omitted, along with Stone’s new commentary. The original Hebrew text is in the back of the book.
• Everyday Holiness: The Jewish Spiritual Path of Mussar
• A Responsible Life: The Spiritual Path of Mussar
• Mussar Yoga: Blending an Ancient Jewish Spiritual Practice with Yoga to Transform Body and Soul
• Every Day, Holy Day: 365 Days of Teachings and Practices from the Jewish Tradition of Mussar
• The Genius of Judaism
• Ways of the Tzaddikim: Orchos Tzaddikim (Torah Classics Library) (English and Hebrew Edition)
• Pirke Avot: A Modern Commentary on Jewish Ethics (Modern Commentary On)
• Sefer Yetzirah: The Book of Creation
• To Life: A Celebration of Jewish Being and Thinking
• Sage Advice: Pirkei Avot