BizStore » Books » The American College and University: A History
Brand: Brand: University of Georgia Press
Edition: 2nd ed.
Feature: Used Book in Good Condition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: University of Georgia Press
Manufacturer: University of Georgia Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 563
Publication Date: 1990
Publisher: University of Georgia Press
Release Date: 1991-02-01
Studio: University of Georgia Press
• Used Book in Good Condition
First published in 1962, Frederick Rudolph's groundbreaking study, The American College and University, remains one of the most useful and significant works on the history of higher education in America. Bridging the chasm between educational and social history, this book was one of the first to examine developments in higher education in the context of the social, economic, and political forces that were shaping the nation at large.
Surveying higher education from the colonial era through the mid-twentieth century, Rudolph explores a multitude of issues from the financing of institutions and the development of curriculum to the education of women and blacks, the rise of college athletics, and the complexities of student life. In his foreword to this new edition, John Thelin assesses the impact that Rudolph's work has had on higher education studies. The new edition also includes a bibliographic essay by Thelin covering significant works in the field that have appeared since the publication of the first edition.
At a time when our educational system as a whole is under intense scrutiny, Rudolph's seminal work offers an important historical perspective on the development of higher education in the United States.
• A History of American Higher Education, 2nd Edition
• In the Company of Educated Women: A History of Women and Higher Education in America
• Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice
• American Higher Education, Second Edition: A History
• The Education of Blacks in the South, 1860-1935
• A Perfect Mess: The Unlikely Ascendancy of American Higher Education
• The Christian College: A History of Protestant Higher Education in America (RenewedMinds)
• How Colleges Work: The Cybernetics of Academic Organization and Leadership
• The Emergence of the American University
• The Shaping of American Higher Education: Emergence and Growth of the Contemporary System