BizStore » Books » Infinite Ascent: A Short History of Mathematics (Modern Library Chronicles)
Brand: Brand: Modern Library
Feature: Used Book in Good Condition
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Modern Library
Manufacturer: Modern Library
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 197
Publication Date: 2008-01-08
Publisher: Modern Library
Release Date: 2008-01-08
Studio: Modern Library
• Used Book in Good Condition
In Infinite Ascent, David Berlinski, the acclaimed author of The Advent of the Algorithm, A Tour of the Calculus, and Newton’s Gift, tells the story of mathematics, bringing to life with wit, elegance, and deep insight a 2,500-year-long intellectual adventure.
Berlinski focuses on the ten most important breakthroughs in mathematical history–and the men behind them. Here are Pythagoras, intoxicated by the mystical significance of numbers; Euclid, who gave the world the very idea of a proof; Leibniz and Newton, co-discoverers of the calculus; Cantor, master of the infinite; and Gödel, who in one magnificent proof placed everything in doubt.
The elaboration of mathematical knowledge has meant nothing less than the unfolding of human consciousness itself. With his unmatched ability to make abstract ideas concrete and approachable, Berlinski both tells an engrossing tale and introduces us to the full power of what surely ranks as one of the greatest of all human endeavors.
From the Hardcover edition.
• A Tour of the Calculus
• The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions
• One, Two, Three: Absolutely Elementary Mathematics
• The Deniable Darwin and Other Essays
• The King of Infinite Space: Euclid and His Elements
• Newton's Gift: How Sir Isaac Newton Unlocked the System of the World
• The Crest of the Peacock: Non-European Roots of Mathematics - Third Edition
• The Advent of the Algorithm: The 300-Year Journey from an Idea to the Computer
• Black Mischief: Language, Life, Logic, Luck-Second Edition
• When Einstein Walked with Gödel: Excursions to the Edge of Thought