BizStore » Books » Literacy Theory as Practice: Connecting Theory and Instruction in K 12-Classrooms (Language and Literacy (Paperback))
BizStore » Book
Literacy Theory as Practice: Connecting Theory and Instruction in K 12-Classrooms (Language and Literacy (Paperback))
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Teachers College Press
Manufacturer: Teachers College Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 240
Publication Date: 2015-10-23
Publisher: Teachers College Press
Studio: Teachers College Press
This comprehensive textbook introduces readers to the most influential theories and models of reading and literacy, ranging from behaviorism and early information processing theories to social constructionist and critical theories. Focusing on how these theories connect with different curricular approaches to literacy instruction from pre-K to grade 12, the author shows how these theories both shape and are shaped by everyday literacy practices in classrooms. Readers are invited to explore detailed vignettes that offer a practice-based view of theories as they are brought to life in classrooms. Unlike other books on literacy theories, Literacy Theory as Practice devotes substantial attention to linguistically and culturally diverse classrooms and 21st-century technologies.
* Descriptions of well-known curricular models and assessment approaches.
* Detailed examples from specific areas of reading and literacy instruction that are prominent in today's schools.
* Textbox discussions exploring histories, terminology, and debates relevant to the theories presented.
* Examination of how theories and practices relate to current policy initiatives, such as the Common Core State Standards.
* User-friendly text features, such as charts, reference lists, and inset boxes to help clarify complex concepts.
• Making Literacy Real: Theories and Practices for Learning and Teaching
• Literacy with an Attitude, Second Edition: Educating Working-Class Children in Their Own Self-Interest
• Nothing But The Truth
• Lenses on Reading, Third Edition: An Introduction to Theories and Models
• Diverse Learners in the Mainstream Classroom: Strategies for Supporting ALL Students Across Content Areas--English Language Learners, Students with Disabilities, Gifted/Talented Students
• Intervention Strategies to Follow Informal Reading Inventory Assessment: So What Do I Do Now? (3rd Edition) (Response to Intervention)
• Stuck in the Middle: Helping Adolescents Read and Write in the Content Areas
• Taking Sides: Clashing Views on Educational Issues, Expanded
• Teaching the Brain to Read: Strategies for Improving Fluency, Vocabulary, and Comprehension
• Strategies That Work, 3rd edition: Teaching Comprehension for Engagement, Understanding, and Building Knowledge, Grades K-8